Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2827.JPG DSCN2828.JPG DSCN2832.JPG DSCN2830.JPG DSCN2836.JPG

I finally made a pilgrimage to the huge Quartzite rock and gem shows, drove all the way out from NY. First three pics from the Desert Gardens show, next Tyson Wells, and last from the PowWow show. It was a rockhound/lapidary dream!! So many tons of rough, slabs, and cabs, spent a good part of two days there a week apart, was totally blown away at the amount of people running saws, making cabs and slabs right in their vending spaces. I picked up some nice slabs of piertersite, polish flint, a couple pounds of rough condor agate nodules, and a bunch of imperial jasper nodules. Also got good deals on a new Barranca 10" saw blade and new 2&3/8" Diamond Pacific wheels for my mini cab machine I use to make inside curves on some of my cabs. Was hoping to find some old stock high end ocean jasper but none was to be found. I highly recommend this show to all rockhounds, lapidaries, and mineral specimen collectors. If you only have limited time to attend I recommend going when the PowWow show is running.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always a great time at the "Q." :occasion14:

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Gunsl. And I thought my 4hr drive from OC was a slog. It really is a rockhound's paradise. I picked up a lot of material, blue lace rough, turquoise, fluorite, ocean jaspers, fire opals, opals, boulder opals, and my personal favorites, gold specimens!
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0005.jpg

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Gunsl. And I thought my 4hr drive from OC was a slog. It really is a rockhound's paradise. I picked up a lot of material, blue lace rough, turquoise, fluorite, ocean jaspers, fire opals, opals, boulder opals, and my personal favorites, gold specimens!
View attachment 1410229 View attachment 1410230

As far as pricing goes do you get a lot for your money? My Brother lives in Henderson NV and I go out to visit/ hunt at least once a year. I would take a trip there if the prices were good.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prices are great there and the selection is huge. The nice thing about the Desert Gardens show is many of the dealers are smaller and more willing to work with you on prices. Apart from Desert Gardens there is another show just east, same side of the freeway in warehouses. I found this side to be made up of larger dealers, many from foreign countries and just not friendly, not easy to work with, prices were retail, fixed. Additionally, there are permanent shops on the north side of the freeway, T-rocks, being one. They've got a lot of rough, some at reasonable prices, some a bit pricey, but selection is good.

Overall, it's 1 of the yearly shows I make sure to go to for material/specimens.

Upvote 0

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip. Those shows are near the top of my To Go To list.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I sorta envy you guys who like to travel a lot. Gunsil - GREAT post, sir!! :notworthy: Mr. Lee - I'm drooling over that nugget! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sorta envy you guys who like to travel a lot. Gunsil - GREAT post, sir!! :notworthy: Mr. Lee - I'm drooling over that nugget! :occasion14:
Those are 2 different nuggets. I was drooling too when the seller pulled them out from his "stash" in the RV. My budget only allowed me those two though. First time I ever bough gold specimens and now I'm wondering why it took me so long!

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prices are great there and the selection is huge. The nice thing about the Desert Gardens show is many of the dealers are smaller and more willing to work with you on prices. Apart from Desert Gardens there is another show just east, same side of the freeway in warehouses. I found this side to be made up of larger dealers, many from foreign countries and just not friendly, not easy to work with, prices were retail, fixed. Additionally, there are permanent shops on the north side of the freeway, T-rocks, being one. They've got a lot of rough, some at reasonable prices, some a bit pricey, but selection is good.

Overall, it's 1 of the yearly shows I make sure to go to for material/specimens.

Thanks for the info! I'm planning on going next time around! I will definitely need to limit how much money I take with me that day.;)

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my aunt and a couple cousins too...winter there every year

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread