Is this a diamond I found while panning ?

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like a diamond, looks like iron stained quartz but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Under zero grams? Really?

In any case, the item pictured is either an iron stained quartz or an amber colored agate. There are other possibilities, but diamond is not one of them. Rocks similar to yours can be found on any gravel bar in western Oregon, where I live, ranging in size from sand to a few pounds.

If you want a better opinion, I would suggest you take it to any lapidary shop, or lapidary club. If diamond is still in the back of your mind, please take to a gemologist or a gem cutter that works with diamonds.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take it to someone that has a diamond tester....a jeweler or a pawn shop....just to test it of course.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Likely quartz. Diamondtesters are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get a piece of ruby/sapphire, only diamond will scratch it.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree most likely quartz. If you have any carbide tipped drill bits you can see if you can scratch it. I've panned plenty of gemmy rock crystal myself. Let us know :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a diamond tester online and waiting for it to come. Are they not accurate ?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamond testers test the thermal conductivity of the mineral they are pressed to. Diamond has a very high thermal conductivity, its considered the best, and testers give a good idea of whether your dealing with a diamond candidate or not. Certain artificial diamonds will read good as well but testers are generally used for cut material so I would be ok accepting a test on raw material. Clean your bit up to remove the apparent iron to assure a better test.

I gotta ask where it was in the pan when you found it? Another possible candidate, though I'm not seeing much shape or and fracture patterns, is topaz. Density test and a hardness test would help there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually bought a diamond tester online and waiting for it to come. Are they not accurate ?

Not 100%, as said they are used on cut pieces. I've seen topaz & Quartz read as diamonds during my time in a gemmological lab.
Any professional will most likely take those as a indication with further testing before being 100% sure it's a diamond.

If you couple that diamond tester with Specific Gravity testing & the hardness test you'll be on the safe side.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking also that if it were diamond it would not have ANY iron staining on it. Diamonds are weird little buggers, and wick away water. If they do that, then they cannot really be stained by iron or any other material, moisture is what usually causes staining on minerals. That is why some people describe them as having a "greasey" appearance as one of their attributes. If I am wrong on this, someone please chime in, I again don't claim to be an expert!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
highly unlikely to be a diamond unless your panning in Arkansas near the only diamond bearing area known in the USA * --it is much much more likely to be clear quartz -- very commonly found in gold bearing areas

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
highly unlikely to be a diamond unless your panning in Arkansas near the only diamond bearing area known in the USA * --it is much much more likely to be clear quartz -- very commonly found in gold bearing areas
Actually there are a lot of area's in the U.S. that are diamond bearing. Arkansas is the only place that has a fee area where the public can mine their own diamonds, but many states have diamond bearing areas, and diamonds have been found in many states. Amateur miners in Wyoming have been know to find diamonds when panning for gold. Idaho and Montana both have had large diamonds found. That is only a few of the states that have been known to have diamonds found. There have been some mining companies exploring Wyoming, Montana and Alberta (Canada I know) to see if some of the kimberlite (sp?) pipes they have found would be viable as new diamond mines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may, I'd like to ask a quick side question....
If one didn't have a diamond tester, could a multimeter be used instead. Would a cheap multimeter be better to use than a cheap diamond tester?

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may, I'd like to ask a quick side question....
If one didn't have a diamond tester, could a multimeter be used instead. Would a cheap multimeter be better to use than a cheap diamond tester?

No it would not. Cheap diamond testers are fine especially for use in the field as nobody is trying to pull a fast one on you with moisannite (silicon carbide which is used in synthetic diamonds) as it will test positive on an inexpensive diamond tester due to the similar heat signatures between that and diamonds. It is also a very hard gem like a diamond and can sometimes even fool the trained eye looking at it through a jewelers loupe. The very important thing to remember when using an inexpensive diamond tester is to properly calibrate it first. Directions for doing this come with them and they are pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Plus you will also know that it is working properly before you even use it. You will need a diamond to calibrate it, but it can be a very small one. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PinchedDreamer diamond testers are not like multimeters. They test for thermal conductivity, of which diamond is very high, where as a multimeter tests for conductivity of electricity, diamond being not so good ;) but its cousin graphene is a wonder.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread