Geode Polishing

Grizzly71

Feb 26, 2017
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've enjoyed the site for a while now, finally have an reason to be more participatory.

I have a number of geodes from the Keokuk, IA area that I've opened and would like to polish. Some are cut, some are cracked, and I'm trying to figure out if I would be better server using a flat lap or a lapidary grinder to polish them? I may have to opportunity to pickup a grinder for a decent price. Would I be better to do that or find a flat lap?

Thanks!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I took a geology class at a Jr college (a million years ago). Besides learning about different minerals, we also had a shop with cutting , grinding and polishing equipment to cut and finish stuff we found. Might be an alternative to buying special equipment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are lapidary classes/clubs which you might want to join.

But for polishing geodes exclusively, a flatlap will give more surfacearea to work on, making it easier.

The lapidary grinder (aka cabb machine) will be best for small pieces or if you plan on cutting other rocks into cabochons as well.

So the choice is a matter of what you need & what you want.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can get them cut, just use silicon carbide grits and pieces of sheet glass. Much cheaper but takes longer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread