Beginner's Lot rocks/fossils - Need help digging in right direction

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an early beginner hunter and I am having problems narrowing my search. I am reading more than I am hunting, but I still think I am ending up with useless or man made finds. I would like to post some pics of interesting rocks/fossils i have found, and have you guys ID some of my more noteable finds and point out man made ones. This way, i can narrow my haul and know where to dig deeper! Any help is appreciated for if nothing but my sleep! Its 1:00 am and im still too anxious to sleep!!

Some of the rocks look like cement, some have colors and imprints, but im not sure if theyre mineralized colors or just scum lol..i hope my pretty green quartz is supposed to b green

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say you read, do you have a geologic map of the area where you are at? Do you know how to interpret a basic geologic map?

Yes i do and ive looked at those in depth. however, i aim to find my own things instead of what some map says i can. Plus, i dont think the surveyors covered my site in depth. I also believe i could have some alluvial placer deposits as well. So, yes ive read the maps, and then ive seen things that arent said to be in my area. I live in part of the great Laurel mountains (appilation mountains). The best of its offerings have been eroded into the hills amd valleys, and thats where im at.These reasons are why im trying to rely more on my particlar site instead of a map. There arent many precious or valueable things in my area, but if it was easy I dont think i would be doing it :)

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i do and ive looked at those in depth. however, i aim to find my own things instead of what some map says i can. Plus, i dont think the surveyors covered my site in depth. I also believe i could have some alluvial placer deposits as well. So, yes ive read the maps, and then ive seen things that arent said to be in my area. I live in part of the great Laurel mountains (appilation mountains). The best of its offerings have been eroded into the hills amd valleys, and thats where im at.These reasons are why im trying to rely more on my particlar site instead of a map. There arent many precious or valueable things in my area, but if it was easy I dont think i would be doing it :)

You are not suppose to find minerals on a map and go dig them up, it is there to help narrow down you're search.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Geologic maps are interpreted from a bunch of things. They do have a margin of error, it's not rare to find things where the geologic maps say they are not.8-)
They can be used as a sorta guide of where to look.

I personally think, from a beginners point of view, start from the ground up - just as you are doing now.
When you run out of ideas, the geo maps will still be there. I'd however suggest to get a book: Prospecting for gemstones & minerals. John Sinkankas.

There's another good book out there for identifying rocks, forgot the name, however.

Upvote 0

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a good resource, I suggest going through other post and reading everything. I get great information by doing that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my latest dig results along with a scrubbed up rock from one of my first ones...In the scrubbed up rock i have circled areas where I think might be one of these puppies? I'm gonna break it out later and check..Any idea as to what kind of rock it is? My new finds I dug up in a creek on the bottom of the valley floor where I found the obsidian and mica. This area does have human trash and such, but does anyone think any of these pieces could be garnets/stones of some sort? I dont have a loupe yet or a scratch board but I've scratched my fingernail and a steel knife and some of these (especially the clearer stone in the closeup) pass the scratch test. Are there any other simple/free methods to check some of these stones? Also, Penny you mentioned that you soaked a rock in vineger, are there any rocks in which I may NOT want to do that with?

View attachment 1426310 View attachment 1426311 View attachment 1426312 View attachment 1426313 View attachment 1426314 View attachment 1426315 View attachment 1426316 View attachment 1426317 View attachment 1426318

Edit: The one rock held between my fingers and up to the light emitting a red color is the smaller piece of what I believe to the the same material as the bigger chunk beside it - some kind of opal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chunk in your edit note is opal and the chip seems to have some fire in it. Try a picture in natural light. As to the larger stones in the first pictures a closer view of the crystals would help as well however they do appear to be garnet. The small green chips are interesting. I gotta wonder are you picking all that up in the same area??
As to vinegar, or any acid, you dont want to soak specimens that show any reactivity *bubbles or bleaching*.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1 To blurry to tell.
#2. Quartz or quartz-related.
#3 Sandstone, possibly?

As for the others, specific gravity, hardness test with quartz (besides the knife) are a few that'll give pointers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just call me GOLDMEMBER!

I believe what we have here is a beauutiful blue quartz rock with a flick of gold in it? Im not 100% sure so im gonna have to break him out! If it is, i will be having my shmoke n a pancake!
View attachment 1427326

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice but try poking it with a pin first and see if it flecks out or dents. Could be a pyrite.

Upvote 0

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my latest dig results along with a scrubbed up rock from one of my first ones...In the scrubbed up rock i have circled areas where I think might be one of these puppies? I'm gonna break it out later and check..Any idea as to what kind of rock it is? My new finds I dug up in a creek on the bottom of the valley floor where I found the obsidian and mica. This area does have human trash and such, but does anyone think any of these pieces could be garnets/stones of some sort? I dont have a loupe yet or a scratch board but I've scratched my fingernail and a steel knife and some of these (especially the clearer stone in the closeup) pass the scratch test. Are there any other simple/free methods to check some of these stones? Also, Penny you mentioned that you soaked a rock in vineger, are there any rocks in which I may NOT want to do that with?

View attachment 1426310 View attachment 1426311 View attachment 1426312 View attachment 1426313 View attachment 1426314 View attachment 1426315 View attachment 1426316 View attachment 1426317 View attachment 1426318

Edit: The one rock held between my fingers and up to the light emitting a red color is the smaller piece of what I believe to the the same material as the bigger chunk beside it - some kind of opal?

Always test the rock first with dropping a few drops of vinegar. If it reacts then don't use it.
And I wouldn't recommend using vinegar on fossils either.
Best thing is to use water and a toothbrush. You must get need to go at it a few times, soaking the rock in water in between.
I use dawn liquid dish soap to help with the cleaning process if needed.
If you are trying to get rid of the iron color on rocks and it doesn't react to vinegar , and vinegar doesn't work , I've used CLR . CLR helps remove limestone and rust.
Always where protection!

Upvote 0

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just call me GOLDMEMBER!

I believe what we have here is a beauutiful blue quartz rock with a flick of gold in it? Im not 100% sure so im gonna have to break him out! If it is, i will be having my shmoke n a pancake!
View attachment 1427326

Pyrite tends to show signs of rust, gold does not.
I can't really tell what you have here but it's always a good rule of thumb to remember.
Also, gold is soft. With the head of a needing you should be able to poke into it.
Think out of the box for scratching surfaces, I've used pieces of tile and the bottom of a coffee cup that has no glaze on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT DENTED!!!! WE HAVE GOLD!!!!! My first gold find!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem is thats the only kind of stone ive seen like that in the million tons of rock ive scanned and the maybe ton or so ive sorted through myself. Also i think the rough stones ive found are just more forms of obsidian and the opal. One stone im optimistic about im thinking about taking to a jewler for kicks if it passes a couple other tests i have in mind. So thanks for help all and i will hopefully i will start a new thread with a cool sure find!

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Just call me GOLDMEMBER!

View attachment 1427326

Are you sure about the gold, that would be a large find by any standards if that was all gold?

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to scratch it against a porcelain dish of some kind and see if it leaves a bright yellow mark. You're picture is to blurry to tell with certainty. That would prove if definitely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
So is it gold? I am very much interested. Also that sulfide rock is a great find, where did you dig that up?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is it gold? I am very much interested. Also that sulfide rock is a great find, where did you dig that up?

I put it on my shelf as gold, so as far as I'm concerned it is! :D It is my first would be gold find at least so I just kept it in the host rock instead of breaking him out. The rock scratches white, but I can't get to the gold to scratch it. It dented so I just left it at that. The pyrite/mica/whatever else I find usually just scrapes away and doesn't stay put. As for the size of it, I didnt think it was large by any means in comparison to all of the pictures ive looked at.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions