Introduction

Aurora

Greenie
Apr 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Thought I would say a quick hello. Been a rockhound since I could walk (according to my Mother). Have never really gotten too into identification, other than getting to know what I have locally. But recently purchased a lot at an estate sale. That sparked an interest in learning more. Been having fun going through it all and trying to identify it. Been going through the old threads here and they have been very helpful, thank you. I will post a few questions when I am done going through it all. Along with a few things I've had/wondered about for a long time, but have not had anyone to ask. This seems to be the most friendly place I have found. Looking forward to being here, I promise not to be too much of a nuisance. Have a great day everyone.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Rocks Are Us! Hope you have a good time.
To increase your interest and successful identifying I'd suggest you purchase a hardness test kit ( cheap) with a streak plate. A porcelain tile will work to see a streak. A jewelers loop ( magnifier)
Later if you want add a black light to test florescence and a specific gravity scale. If your handy an SG scale can be made that will be accurate enough to help ID. As many rocks are a combination of ingredients a SG scale wont help there but very helpful for rocks that are of classified material. Down the road a small microscope. Then there's the science stuff like a blowpipe etc but I'll leave that to you. I'm sure I forgot something. Others will fill in the blanks
Begin a library and a very helpful site is mindat. org
Good hunting!

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please bug us...come back often and let it all out....Welcome to the party. We enjoy seeing your pics too. gotta love them rocks and the fun of hunting for them.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aurora

Greenie
Apr 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Rocks Are Us! Hope you have a good time.
To increase your interest and successful identifying I'd suggest you purchase a hardness test kit ( cheap) with a streak plate. A porcelain tile will work to see a streak. A jewelers loop ( magnifier)
Later if you want add a black light to test florescence and a specific gravity scale. If your handy an SG scale can be made that will be accurate enough to help ID. As many rocks are a combination of ingredients a SG scale wont help there but very helpful for rocks that are of classified material. Down the road a small microscope. Then there's the science stuff like a blowpipe etc but I'll leave that to you. I'm sure I forgot something. Others will fill in the blanks
Begin a library and a very helpful site is mindat. org
Good hunting!

Yes I have been looking into some of those supplies. For now I have assembled a makeshift hardness test kit.

I would like a black light, but understand the good ones are fairly expensive. Would I get any use at all out of a cheap one for now?

Thank you for the link, I found the search feature, that will be very useful.

Thanks for the welcome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aurora

Greenie
Apr 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please bug us...come back often and let it all out....Welcome to the party. We enjoy seeing your pics too. gotta love them rocks and the fun of hunting for them.....

LOL Thank you. Remember you asked for it.

It's funny, as much as I am enjoying going through these ones I purchased, it really isn't quite the same as the ones you find yourself.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! I to only use a makeshift hardness kit I put together myself.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well met Aurora and welcome. Always a learning curve in identification but you got experience in the first part~ know your area~ so I expect you'll get along find. Generally someone around here to help a bit so Good luck and happy hunting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread