Help identifying clear tobcloudy stone

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4357.JPG IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4362.JPG . Not sure what this is. Quartz maybe ??

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try doing a hardness test on it. Looks up the Mohs hardness scale...if it quartz, you should have a hard time scratching it with quartz. If its a piece of glass (which i've recently found a piece of :occasion14:) then it will scratch fairly easily. Jump down or up the scale depending on what sratches and doesnt. Quartz is a cheap easy mineral to find/identify to use in your hardness test.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Rific pointed out a hardness test is needed. The stone your showing indicates to me it might be topaz or some other crystal with a clean fracture line indicated by the flat on the stone face you've pictured. It does not appear to be glass in the photo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knife didn't do anything. It left a mark but didn't cut it, I easily wiped mark with my finger. I have new cutco knives too. I just did a density test roughly 2.9-3.3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardness is better than 6.5, try a bit of quartz hardness 7. Provided you did the density right and quartz fails to scratch it I'd say you have topaz there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone, it has been identified as topaz: very cool find and this also helped me stumble across some kind other cool stuff

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feed back. Its a whooper :)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone, it has been identified as topaz: very cool find and this also helped me stumble across some kind other cool stuff
That's awesome! I have a rock I had tested because I kept getting a hardness of 8, which topaz is, the color, the hardness, and a fracture that looked like cleavage all pointed to topaz, until they did the refraction test, and that proved it to be a really hard piece of citrine. I was bummed it wasn't topaz, but the geologists were excited that it was citrine, because it is very rare for this area, and the color is awesome on it, I plan on getting it faceted into a nice gemstone! Long story short, I am a little jealous you have found topaz and I have not! :icon_thumright: Congratz!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the topaz!

IAMZIM, a hardness of 8 on a citrine? How did you come to that conclusion?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the topaz!

IAMZIM, a hardness of 8 on a citrine? How did you come to that conclusion?
I agree, it does not make sense, in fact the two geologists were convinced that it was topaz, until they did the refraction test! They tested both oils for quartz and for topaz and on that test it came out as quartz. They spent about an hour and a half doing the tests and showing me what they were doing and how they worked, it was pretty fun really! They told me that it is possible for quartz to be harder than normal, and even softer than normal, but it definitely had them confused a little! And, they admitted that, they were confident that it was quartz, but not POSITIVE, so, we just went with quartz. Maybe I will make a post about it when I get time, i've been terribly busy of late, but if you are interested, I'll try and make some time to post it. And once again, AWESOME find Nikki204401, Topaz is on my bucket list, I may have to go to Utah to get mine!

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum perfectly mixed with the silica possibly? Or would the Al turn the silica a different color...
Aluminum is present in Topaz, however, the aluminum in topaz can't be detected by an XRF, I'm not sure aluminum affects the color, as I think all topaz, of any color has aluminium present, but I'm not an expert on that, someone with more experience would have to chime in on that.......but I think I understand what you are thinkin'!:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread