New Rock Hound Seeking Friends... (Pic Heavy)

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, actually to be honest, I am here seeking friends who know stuff about rocks. Have more friends than I can count that know nothing... As a matter of fact, if you lack know-nothing friends... pm me we can work something out. ;)

This is is my second post here, but let it serve as my introduction...

My name is Daniel and to be honest geology, at the time, was one of the worse subjects to me. Rocks were boring.

That all changed a few weeks ago en route on a cross country trip from Huntington Beach, CA to St. Louis, MO for a business engagement I had out there. As usual, I took the northern route (I-15N to I-70E) as I love the landscape from Eastern Utah through West of Denver. Funny thing is, this was the first time I veered from the interstate, deciding instead to take the scenic route and drive through Zion And Bryce Canyon. It was incredible, the rest of the state of Utah is just as pretty. However, at one of the stops where I was taking in the sights, I looked down and saw an interesting rock. My youngest son likes stuff that, so I put it in my pocked and moved on. Then a few hours later I stopped at another spot, looked down and there were more cool rocks. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, the ones with the hand warmer pocket across the belly, and at this stop I filled up that "pocket" with "cool rocks". That was the moment I became a rock hound. Funny thing is, I can't remember what was my first rock, but I am sure it was some type of agate. Over the next 3 days, I didn't make it past Denver... But I did manage to fill up my rental car (Prius) with more rocks than I could possibly know what to do with. I am sure most were worthless, but it didn't matter... Every rock that I picked up, meant something to me. However, this was not healthy. I felt like a crack head, not able to stop and resume my trip. I ended up getting sunburns on my lips, to where they broke out into 3 HUGE cold sores. So when I finally made it to St. Louis (5 days later)... I actually looked like a crack head too. On the trip back, I was spared the obsessive, addict frame of mind... But I still added to my rock collection. Driving though central/southern colorado, I realized how little I know about the beautiful places in the US... Because this looked like paradise on earth. When I finally made it home, I unloaded and started sorting through what I brought home. I still am learning what is what, but I have some ideas. I know that it is a lot to try and identify a lot of rocks at once... So, feel free to throw out if anything stands out to you, but the ones that I need help with I will either repost in another comment on this thread, or on a whole new thread altogether. These pics are to give an idea of just a tiny little sampling of what I brought home. Thanks for watching and I hope we get to be friends... Well at least the really smart and knowledgeable people here. LOL

IMG_4942.JPG IMG_4943.JPG IMG_4953.JPG IMG_4970.JPG IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4886.JPG IMG_4965.JPG IMG_4968.JPG IMG_4969.JPG IMG_4961.JPG IMG_4969.JPG IMG_4971.JPG

MartyRocks

Dec 12, 2015
Nevada desert
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all it takes to hook you into this hobby.... 1 or 2 or more (in your case) rocks and/or minerals picked up!

Welcome to TreasureNet.com

It looks like you have a few agates, jasper, chalcedony and one rock looks like it might have dendrites on it. Most are hard to tell you what they are from just pictures.

The standard tests are needed to help ID them?

Moesia posted a few things that might be helpful to you:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/527975-rocks-minerals.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/538586-useful-stuff-help-you-id.html

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you wants rocks then you need to visit the D.W. Correll museum in Catoosa, Ok. Every rock you can imagine and much more......Its an interesting pit stop while driving through to Mo. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Picked up some good stuff there and made for an interesting trip as well. Check out the older threads here for a lot of information and pick up some field guides to help with identification and aid in locating areas were there are more cool rocks in your travels ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm reception everyone! I really appreciate it. One question I have for you guys that I haven't been able to see a specific answer to: What is the difference between Agate and Opal? I understand that a hardness test might be able to differentiate the two, but is there an easier (visual?) way to identify the two??

Upvote 0

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! As a newbie here myself, I can honestly attest to how friendly and helpful the people here can be. If you ever find yourself in the Vegas area, and feel like hunting rocks/ crystals, let me know. I've got some great spots nearby. Just bring lots of sunscreen and water! Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! As a newbie here myself, I can honestly attest to how friendly and helpful the people here can be. If you ever find yourself in the Vegas area, and feel like hunting rocks/ crystals, let me know. I've got some great spots nearby. Just bring lots of sunscreen and water! Lol

Being a SoCal Raiders fan, it won't be long until I am out there regularly. LOL. But yeah, I definitely will! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dtinhb, I'm Erik down in Lake Forest, sometimes Tokyo. This weekend 5/6-5/7 is the Searchers gem and mineral show at the Brookhurst Community Center, 2271 W. Crescent Ave., Anaheim. It's a really good show as it host low end rough to high end gems. You've got the bug, time to feed it!

Think about joining the club too. Their lapidary shop is filled with machines and knowledgeable old timers .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definitely try to make it out there and I will look into the club as well. Need some experience to lean on to! Thanks so much for the intro and suggestion!

Upvote 0

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Butch from Pa here. Welcome aboard. You do have nice some stones. Now, you need to get into lapidary to cut and polish them into cabochons (cabs). You can have some nice stone suitable for jewelry. I'm not a geologist or profess to be, but I believe opal is formed from roots or a chemical reaction with wood, heat, water and pressure. Chal-sa-dony. That's not the correct spelling, but I believe it's pronounced that way, is well a stone. There are many variations of chalcedony.

So good luck to you, Sorry for your lips tho. You'll have to get a duckbill cap and lots of lipbalm.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agate and opal are in the same family of silicates and have similar hardness and compositions however Opal is softer due to its lack of crystal structure. What makes them different is that opal contains a high amount of water and lacks crystal structure, like glass, where as agates do not contain much water and have a micro-crystalline structure.
The easiest way to tell between an opal and an agate are the coloration, patterning and hardness. Colors in agate are due to mineral inclusions, in opal colors are due to the water trapped inside the silicate giving them a rainbow like appearance. Patterning is often seen in agates, bands~ plumes~ dentrites, where as patterning is not apparent in opal though precious opal coloration's can exhibit a pattern effect~ Harlequin or mosaic.
Common opal, or opalite, is generally white and glassy and can be translucent or milky in appearance similar to chalcedony but softer in hardness. Agate, or quartz, will scratch opal most of the time depending on how much water is in the opal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sherm I appreciate it!

@DDancer- Great explanation... so I take it this is agate? Is the green part agate as well?

IMG_5024.JPG IMG_5025.JPG IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5032.JPG IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5034.JPG IMG_5035.JPG IMG_5036.JPG IMG_5037.JPG IMG_5038.JPG IMG_5039.JPG IMG_5040.JPG IMG_5041.JPG IMG_5042.JPG

Upvote 0

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on the edge of El Segundo, and used to watch the Raiders practice the last time they were an LA team. Lol. I've always been more of a baseball (Dodgers) fan though. ;)

Upvote 0

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, for some reason, this looks like jasper to me. Just for kicks, research Jasper to see what you can come up with.

Upvote 0

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see brecciated jasper, hey welcome to the forum!

Upvote 0

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large stones of your last post, thanking me and DDancer, resemble jasper to me. Jasper comes in a variation of colors, including greens and reds.. Butch

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dtinhb, I'm Erik down in Lake Forest, sometimes Tokyo. This weekend 5/6-5/7 is the Searchers gem and mineral show at the Brookhurst Community Center, 2271 W. Crescent Ave., Anaheim. It's a really good show as it host low end rough to high end gems. You've got the bug, time to feed it!

Think about joining the club too. Their lapidary shop is filled with machines and knowledgeable old timers .

Thank you for the link MrLee. I'm close by so I think I'm going to take a piece of turquoise (Morenci) I've had for 45 years with me to get it evaluated.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread