I found some gems/stones in a river with no idea what they are.

Corbee

May 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a couple of years ago in England, I went to High Force which is a big waterfall and tourist attraction. It was a geographical trip so we had to observe rock formations etc, but whilst I was in the river, I found 2 purple-ish natural stones with a very nice shimmer to them. Since they were purple I instantly thought they were amethyst but as I grew older, I realised there were other sort of rocks that could be purple. I have no idea what these 2 stones could be now and Amethyst is a igneous rock and I don't thing the waterfall was near any volcanoes (if there are any in England ahaha). So does anyone have the slightest idea what the stones could be. Since they were found in a similar place and look a little similar, I presume they're the same type of rock/gem.
Please and thank you~
IMG_6845.JPG IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6849.JPG IMG_6850.JPG

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
If you found them in the river they could have come from a very broad area. Yes there are volcanoes in England but they are not active.
Purple is a tricky color to photograph, is the color from the pictures really the color that you see in person? Scratch the purple color with a steel knife and press in harder if nothing happens at first, did it leave a scratch? Do you see any strait cracks running throughout the rock?
Pic. no. 3 and 4 look like common pebble found in revers.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Moesia suggests, a hardness test. The rough stone appears to my amethyst but the water worn one does not show any distinct colorations. Maybe a natural light photo and a wet photo would help.

Upvote 0

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amethyst and plain quartz

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Corbee

May 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Sorry for the late reply but I scraped the rocks with a pair of scissors and both produced a white powdery scratch that could be rubbed off with a thumb.
Hopes this helps??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Corbee

May 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the purple colour, that is pretty much the colour you see in person, it has a nice pale distinct purple look.
Pebble 3 and 4 are the same pebbles and although you cannot really see it, it does sparkle alittle and it has a very very very pale purple tint in the middle of it, but the camera doesn't catch it very well...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rasputin beat me to it. Flourite would be my guess, to.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feed back on the hardness test. I support Flourite as well for the rough stone. Not so sure about the pebble as for what I can see of the fractures in it dont jive with a cubic matrix and its unusual to see flourite so well rounded. Typically it will look like the purple stone. But you did find it in river gravels so ehh?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread