Found this in the field a rock with blue and black and grey lines

rowdycrowd

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pearl City Il
Primary Interest:
Other
What could this be and how are these lines made if any one could help me? Me and the grand daughter found a few arrow heads, and now we just can't help our selves with collecting every rock we can .. We live in Pearl City IL just bought this home, so we are are expecting lots of fun searching to come. This rock is about as big as a 50 cent piece round, and I also shared the grey rock with what looks like a sun on it.. Got many different rocks today, found a lot with bubble holes, don't know what that's about. plus some really nice greys that look crystal like accept for the shape..Almost like grey diamonds heh. unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg

OP
OP
R

rowdycrowd

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pearl City Il
Primary Interest:
Other
Geesh I may never know :( 89 views and not one ideal or thought of why these lines are on this rock, or even what kind it is :O ..One thing I do know is even the rocks with bubbles in them have a some what sky blue color.. My guess is this city must of been under water~ it is after all named after a large pearl found in yellow creek not to far from the farm here.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
need better photos of the rock. Is it possible that its furnace glass from a factory not a rock at all?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rowdycrowd

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pearl City Il
Primary Interest:
Other
No we have nothing like that around nor has there been anything like that~the house was built in 1912, the rock was found in the fields behind the house. The chips in it I think come from the tilling of the earth with tractors. This farm was a milk farm in early 1900's to mid 1900's how ever I think the rock is much older then this. It has four apparent layers. We have a under ground spring in our basement~unannounced to us when we bought the house. We are also at the bottom of a hill, and this area has been known for flooding, how ever I found it at the other end of property, not at the bottom of hill. I am sending all 4 sides , top, and bottom.. If these aren't clear enough please tell me what i can do to make better pictures. It has four sides to it. plus top and bottom. unnamed (10).jpg unnamed (11).jpg unnamed (12).jpg unnamed (13).jpg unnamed (14).jpg unnamed (15).jpg unnamed (16).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photo quality won't let me see what I need, might just be my phone though, I'll look on the computer later. Still could be furnace glass with refractory and different types of glass that were melted. If I could get a really good photo somehow I could tell for sure. I'm a glass shop technician by trade, so I've seen lots or rock like stuff come out of furnaces and stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rowdycrowd

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pearl City Il
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a thought also~ Nicor gas company dug quite deep on this property 5 or more years ago to run a huge line on this property. Maybe this came from the ground when they dug to lay the large line to give gas to a few more customers? I am not sure as this was done before we bought property~ and again unannounced to us when we bought the property. We probably wouldnt have bought this had we known all the things we now, know. Been here since January of this year.. We found it at that end of the property though, along with the black crystal like round rock we also found. The earth here is full of lead-CORRECTION NO LEAD BUT IRON GEESH WHAT WAS I THINKING?-, so I have been told. How ever it looks rich and the soil is nice and black accept where they have over worked the soil around us by laying the same crop year after yr I am guessing..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be, maybe you could find a geological survey of your area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rowdycrowd

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pearl City Il
Primary Interest:
Other
I find many stones with crystal like gems in them, so it would really be nice to find it out.. lol the rock you see with it holding my paper down also is one we found .. rock on once side and lines and layers of resin type shine to the top surface and a nice little hole in it as well.. It took to my eye so i kept it too..
At first I thought it was painted (with the blue and black), but closer look you can see the difference in the crystal like black and grey. I have not scrubbed it up maybe I should. ??

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try searching the Internet, or maybe check with the town? Not sure exactly maybe someone else will chime in here.

Upvote 0

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geological survey sees the good way to look if any minerals in your area. Thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be melted glass, maybe slag or just melt from an old trash fire pit. That type of material can travel rather well with water movement, flooding. In your first post the third picture the stone in the front appears to be chalcedony the round one a grantoid. From the worked flints, or cherts, and the indian penny I'd say the area's been inhabited for a while. This lends me to feel your colored stone may indeed be the glass melt I feel it is. Good finds.
Look around your area and there will probably be a rock club you could try taking it to. As to geo surveys look for a mineral survey of the area instead. They are generally pretty broad but can give you an idea of the minerals and base rock fromations of the area. After that its research and a couple of good rock and mineral guides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be melted glass, maybe slag or just melt from an old trash fire pit. That type of material can travel rather well with water movement, flooding. In your first post the third picture the stone in the front appears to be chalcedony the round one a grantoid. From the worked flints, or cherts, and the indian penny I'd say the area's been inhabited for a while. This lends me to feel your colored stone may indeed be the glass melt I feel it is. Good finds.
Look around your area and there will probably be a rock club you could try taking it to. As to geo surveys look for a mineral survey of the area instead. They are generally pretty broad but can give you an idea of the minerals and base rock fromations of the area. After that its research and a couple of good rock and mineral guides.

still hard to tell though from pictures but thats what I was thinking

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tpmetal, I appreciated your thought in this thread as well and should have referenced it in my own thoughts for your credit in the conversation.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread