The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from my annual, rainy season trip to the Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas. Here is a raw, white diamond just under 2 carats that I found. I brought back gravel taken directly from the lamprolite, diamond pipe than runs behind Canary Hill. I hope to find more as I go through it all as it was a great rainy season!

20170428_231844.jpg

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And he confirmed it? Hey - then it's a cool find!
Do you collect rough diamonds or do you have them cut?

BIGGSCOTT,
Diamonds don't technically have striations. Compare to quartz.
While it looks similar, I believe diamonds show a different mineralogical phenomena. Don't recall the name now, however.

Thank you. I collect the rough diamonds and actually like them better. If I ever find one that is worth big money due to it's rating and/or size, then I will have it cut and sell it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good find then. Mayhap the shape and striations are due to some twinning? The luster due to it being fairly fresh? I am not nay saying anything, just trying to understand what I'm looking at. Personally if I had found it I'd have just considered it a quartz crystal but considering the source and recovery method I reckon I'd question it.??? Maybe.
I have not found any pictures on line for finds from Crater of Diamonds that come to be similar to your specimen however a stone in the hand is easier than a picture on the net. ;) Congrate's I reckon.

Thank you. I am a new member and apologize for not having taken a better pic as that was taken by my cellphone with a lot of yellow lighting which is terrible for diamonds. I couldn't even use the flash because diamonds are so difficult to photograph. Usually they are sat on a lightbox and even then special lighting and filters are still required. I know because I used to work in television and when I was in the advertising aspect of it, I used to get on to the guys who had to photograph diamonds for jewelry commercials. So maybe this was my payback for that lol!

The luster was really where it had been broken as many are like that and I should have taken more pics of all the sides, but with the cellphone they would have all been bad pictures and I was too lazy to try to set up my lightbox, lights and get my camera equipment out. The thought never even occurred to me that anyone would post something that wasn't real. Who would go to the trouble to do that?

I've literally seen hundreds of diamonds from the Crater in person and a few I probably would have thrown away myself which is why I use my diamond tester in the field. Anyway I found a couple more, smaller ones in my concentrates so far and even the elusive, yellow diamond that I've been hunting for but it is barely bigger than a chip. So my search continues! I'd rather be hunting now than taking pictures anymore... 8-)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She didn't ask if it was a diamond, so I thought we were forbidden from bursting her bubble.:laughing7:

in the rocks and gems section you are given a little more leeway as this is a discussion forum ,
not a show site like today's finds. but all the same.

if a member tells you it's a duck. it's a duck and you should respect their word online. a picture may be worth a thousand words But the person holding it in their Hand is worth 10,000.

you can ask how they are so sure, but you can't be rude about it.

if a member says they think it's a duck, or ask an opinion that's a horse of a different color.

You can PM them & tell them.
But if they tear you a New one,
or say Don't PM again. Don't

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, I had rather hoped the previous irritations in this post were rather put to bed. The conversation had been brought back to point and online with opinions on the find Treasure Queen has qualified. I do hope that there has been no further discourse on the matter as I consider it, the argumentative posts, a dead matter.
Should I redact my statements I wonder. I've only let them stand so as to keep clear that the posts previous to my last discourse were out of line, in my opinion, and that one and all should know that my statements were not intended to be derogatory towards Treasure Queen.

Its a rather unusual find in my view and a learning experience. A stone in the hand indeed, and I've said as much. A good find.

Upvote 0

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting