Do you think this is a ruby if so what kind of color is it?

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN6168.JPG DSCN6169.JPG DSCN6172.JPG DSCN6174.JPG DSCN6176.JPG DSCN6178.JPG DSCN6180.JPG

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under high magnification does it have bubbles if so it could just be a heat treated glass. Also if you put it in citric acid solution (you could use lemon juice) if it dissolves or etches its not ruby.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Under high magnification does it have bubbles if so it could just be a heat treated glass. Also if you put it in citric acid solution (you could use lemon juice) if it dissolves or etches its not ruby.

Not perfectly true, there is glass treated ruby which will be attacked by citric acid, to.

As for the picture, impossible to tell from pics. Get a gemologist to check it out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U
Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I took it to a gemologist and he said it was a ruby, I tested with citric acid there was no etches or pin holes or anything like that on the surface, there are no inclusion at all so now I'm taking it to get appraised tomorrow

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it scratches a glass piece, it has a better chance of being ruby. Pictures can never tell for sure.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let us know how it goes. No inclusions can be a warning sign - possible synthetic. But not always!

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're probably wondering about the color because most rubies even in fine jewelry today are man made and deep red. I don't like them at all and think they are ugly! Yours looks more like a natural ruby to me. The most valued, natural rubies are deep red, but most of them are the color of yours. Any natural ruby is worth more than the lab created ones. As for garnets, the most valuable are the orangish rust colored ones and pinker colored ones are less valuable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As for garnets, the most valuable are the orangish rust colored ones and pinker colored ones are less valuable.

Actually, I believe the most valuable garnets are the quite rare color changers which show a blue color.:occasion14:

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I believe the most valuable garnets are the quite rare color changers which show a blue color.:occasion14:

Actually I was referring to pure garnets in my post in regards to their value and color desirability and how the less desirable and valuable colors in the pinkish hues are often mistaken for rubies as it applied to this thread directly. As for the ultra rare, far generally lesser known about and more valuable, colors changers they are not pure garnet but are actually a hybrid mix of spessartite and pyrope garnet and in many cases, may also contain traces of glossularite or almondine garnet. So they are not pure garnet to which I was referring to in my post. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually I was referring to pure garnets in my post in regards to their value and color desirability and how the less desirable and valuable colors in the pinkish hues are often mistaken for rubies as it applied to this thread directly. As for the ultra rare, far generally lesser known about and more valuable, colors changers they are not pure garnet but are actually a hybrid mix of spessartite and pyrope garnet and in many cases, may also contain traces of glossularite or almondine garnet. So they are not pure garnet to which I was referring to in my post. :occasion14:

Oh man, I love nerd talk!:laughing7:
A friend did a study on garnets from Africa, this was a few years ago, and he found very few garnets are "pure".
Most garnets are named on the "dominant" variety, or simply given a trade name.

I personally like the "fanta" or orange garnets; Little Three mine spessartite for example.
:occasion14:

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the gem is in fact Corundum, then due to the very pinkish color, it in all actuality it should be considered a Sapphire and not a Ruby. Also, I agree that if there are no inclusions, then it is likely a lab grown synthetic gem.

Frank

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A real ruby will glow bright red under a longwave blacklight. Sapphires don't. Pink grossular garnets also glow brightly under BL.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't get caught up on the pink sapphire vs red ruby. It's quite a fluent line; mostly up to personal opinion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread