Any ideas on this ID?

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking chrysocolla, but seems pretty soft.. maybe something similar? Hardness 2.5-3.0 (copper barely scratched it, fingernail won't)
20170620_202833.jpg 20170620_202821.jpg
20170620_202744.jpg

OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well this is confusing. The hardness is definitely not higher than 3.0 and the streak is light green indicating malachite but malachite according to the books starts at 3.5

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well this is confusing. The hardness is definitely not higher than 3.0 and the streak is light green indicating malachite but malachite according to the books starts at 3.5

Chrysocolla starts at 2½ in hardness. So that fits the description, IMO.

The images look blue-green to me, also a match for Chrysocolla.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting, cool man appreciate the help. In your opinion, is such a soft, granular sample a good idea to try to cab/polish? It's big enough I could easily get 3-4 slabs just wonder if I'd be wasting my time or if it's worth a shot. Not very special in the rough so I suppose I have very little to lose by trying at least...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd saw off a sample and get it wet with water. If the color is nice, I'd try cutting it. Just not use it for rings; such soft stones don't fair well in rings.
I always to a first test cut of new materials to learn/see it's perks.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to help! I'm gonna be doing some test-cutting myself today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks for helping ID it for me EU...turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Didn't think it would hold up to the diamond without undercutting or chipping badly but it endured pretty well :D

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks Zim, always cool to see what a dusty old rock will turn out when cut & polished!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to help. What did you polish it with? Diamond or tin oxide? Tin ox seems quite good for softer stones, like that one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yean SnO2 is my go-to now. Even with harder minerals and rocks it seems to work great so I start with that when experimenting and if that doesn't give me a good enough shine I move on to the recommended/orthodox type polish. I was surprised to see it work very well on some rhodonite cabs I just polished, thought I would need to use cerium or diamond but the tin worked great.

Oh yeah to answer ur question directly, haha, I used tin oxide on smooth leather. About 50/50 wet/dry. I wet the leather and ran it until dry and continued for ten seconds or so, cycled about 6-7 times

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jupp, it's my go-to also. My felt wheel is dressed with both diamond (middle) and tin oxide on the outer edge.
So it's a quick jump to either, when one fails.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
After a suggestion I used contact cement to attach a piece of commercial type carpet to a piece of round plywood.
I fit it to our cab machine. Using tin oxide paste the results were good.
Works well for soft stones and ones that were stabilized.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After a suggestion I used contact cement to attach a piece of commercial type carpet to a piece of round plywood.
I fit it to our cab machine. Using tin oxide paste the results were good.
Works well for soft stones and ones that were stabilized.

Oooo...carpet sounds like a great idea actually, think I'm gonna try that. Seems it will hold the oxides better. What general type of carpet? Thin or shaggy or in between? Does it build much heat/friction?

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Oooo...carpet sounds like a great idea actually, think I'm gonna try that. Seems it will hold the oxides better. What general type of carpet? Thin or shaggy or in between? Does it build much heat/friction?

I used a thin commercial type similar to Berber. Something like a floor mat should work. Things will get hot rather quickly
but mostly just your hands. The example I saw made by another caber made the wood bowl shaped as that conformed
to the stone better. I think I saw the idea on a rock cab site.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

I used a thin commercial type similar to Berber. Something like a floor mat should work. Things will get hot rather quickly
but mostly just your hands. The example I saw made by another caber made the wood bowl shaped as that conformed
to the stone better. I think I saw the idea on a rock cab site.

Lapidaryforum.net - Index

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions