Having trouble IDing this type of rock

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello im seeking help in identifying the minerals in this rock. Theyre almost like dry flakes. I havent came across this type of rock before yet so if someone could help me out with a tip or two as to how to pick out the minerals in this i would be very grateful! Im going to say thank you in advance because i know someone in this community will pull through yet again! I sincerely appreciate the help!

IMG_20170625_190338.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be a granitoid. Likely contains Mica, feldspar and quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense since i need to read up on feldspars. I've been stuck on metals, metallic sulfurs and formations of deposits. I need to rewind a little bit :)

I can see the quartz and mica in it but does the brown form like that or is it weathered? Im guessing the orange is heavily eroded?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes sense since i need to read up on feldspars. I've been stuck on metals, metallic sulfurs and formations of deposits. I need to rewind a little bit :)

I can see the quartz and mica in it but does the brown form like that or is it weathered? Im guessing the orange is heavily eroded?

The "rust" is from iron-minerals being weathered. Called Limonite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That being the orange or brown or both? And so if limonite can form anywhere, then the gold bearing limonites would be the bog iron types where water circulates through it and the iron catches it so to say?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That being the orange or brown or both? And so if limonite can form anywhere, then the gold bearing limonites would be the bog iron types where water circulates through it and the iron catches it so to say?

Both. Google Limonite.
Bog ore and gossans are two quite different things; in the way they form.
One is a precipitate where reducing water goes into oxygen-rich water, and there falls out of solution. There is some relation to running water, or surface water.

The other, gossan is the word you are looking for I think, is more a chemical process of oxidization. Not precipitation.
Basically in the latter for example Pyrite is oxidized. Sulphide ores can be indicated by the presence of a gossan.
There the limonite replaces the pre-existing sulphides.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions