Boring Rock or a Cool find? (Need help IDing)

Inukshuk

Jun 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my father has had this rock sitting around for a while and we'd just like to know what it is. Don't know where it was originally found, as it was given to him by a distant friend of the family. I was wondering if it's just some kind of coal (though when I compare it to pictures I googled it's not nearly a lustrous). Though my father believes it to be some kind of rare rock :P

IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

I know a little bit about rock/mineral identification, so I did streak it, and it came out as brownish/black? No clear fracture, and obviously not clear large crystals. When rubbed with your fingers it VERY SLIGHTLY comes off on your hand. It's surpringly heavy, and is about an long and tall as my hand (4-4 1/2 inches).

Anyway I think it's coal, my dad thinks it's something rare. Hopefully someone can settle the score. Thank you

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Inukshuk - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetic? Will a knife scratch it? Will it burn? Coal does burn.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions