Need help identifying lot of rocks

Kimberlyykaye

Jul 17, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This lot of rocks was found when I was cleaning an old garage. I live in the plains of Colorado, so I don't think any of these came from my local area. Would be cool if they did though lol. I'm interested in learning more about them, so any information is helpful.

Rock 1:
A:
IMG_1872.JPG
B:
IMG_1871.JPG

Rock 2:
A:
IMG_1892.JPG
B:
IMG_1894.JPG

Rock 3:
A:
IMG_1900.JPG
B:
IMG_1902.JPG

Rock 4:
A:
IMG_1895.JPG
B:
IMG_1897.JPG

Rock 5:
A:
IMG_1911.JPG
B:
IMG_1912.JPG
C:
IMG_1908.JPG

Rock 6:
A:
IMG_1922.JPG
B:
IMG_1923.JPG
C:
IMG_1925.JPG

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1 Could be azurite or Linarite. Or others I don't think about right now.
#2 Could be several things. See if a knife will scratch it; do so on a "hidden" surface, as to not ruin the specimen.

For the rest of them:
Streak test and do the knife test, to.
Report each individually.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rock #6 looks like a lot of fun for a rock cutter like me! I'm guessing Jasper of some kind but follow Eu_citizen's instructions so he can be better equipped to give an ID. I'd say rock #5 the white crystal is probably calcite, but unsure of the black host rock or adjacent crystal...either way those are some very nice specimens u got there

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kimberlyykaye

Jul 17, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 Could be azurite or Linarite. Or others I don't think about right now.
#2 Could be several things. See if a knife will scratch it; do so on a "hidden" surface, as to not ruin the specimen.

For the rest of them:
Streak test and do the knife test, to.
Report each individually.

EU did what you said for the scratch test they could all be scratched with a knife except rock #3.
For the streak test
#1 was a light blue
#2: White
#3: Dark red
#4: Black
#5: Gray
#6: White, the bottom half was black (not sure if that matters)
#7:White

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kimberlyykaye

Jul 17, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock #6 looks like a lot of fun for a rock cutter like me! I'm guessing Jasper of some kind but follow Eu_citizen's instructions so he can be better equipped to give an ID. I'd say rock #5 the white crystal is probably calcite, but unsure of the black host rock or adjacent crystal...either way those are some very nice specimens u got there

#6 looks incredible in the light! The pictures just don't do it justice. It would be cool to see what someone like yourself could do with it.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure on the rest of em but if #3 was dark red on the streak it's probably hematite considering the dark silvery/black color and luster. #1 is probably Azurite like EU said, but I don't know much about linarite. Another possibility is Shattuckite, but I don't know much about that either.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EU did what you said for the scratch test they could all be scratched with a knife except rock #3.
For the streak test
#1 was a light blue
#2: White
#3: Dark red
#4: Black
#5: Gray
#6: White, the bottom half was black (not sure if that matters)

#1 Fits my original guess. Azurite or Linarite, the latter being more rare and softer. A copper penny should scratch it if it's Linarite.
#2: Apatite ?
#3: Hematite
#4: Pyrolusite or similar
#5: Galena, the surface being oxidized. That's why the color seems off.
#6: Oxidized chalcopyrite OR Bornite. Chip an edge of the metallic-looking stuff. If it's copper-like in color - Bornite. If not: Chalcopyrite!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I've cut a few similar ones, often they don't turn out to cool. They might end up looking just like polished pyrite.
However, fine grained brecciated samples, those can turn out nice! Best polished with 100K diamond.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kimberlyykaye

Jul 17, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EU_citzen, thank you so much! Looks like I have some learning to do. I don't know much about these, so this will be great.

I Just scratched #1 with a penny, and it scratched. It definitely is soft, the blue can flake off, so I don't like to handle it much in fear of ruining it.

Chipped that edge of #6 off it looks like it's Chalcopyrite! No cooper, the metallic like colors seemed to go all the way through. It chipped really easy too.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EU_citzen, thank you so much! Looks like I have some learning to do. I don't know much about these, so this will be great.

I Just scratched #1 with a penny, and it scratched. It definitely is soft, the blue can flake off, so I don't like to handle it much in fear of ruining it.

Chipped that edge of #6 off it looks like it's Chalcopyrite! No cooper, the metallic like colors seemed to go all the way through. It chipped really easy too.

Glad to help! I'd just put the blue specimen somewhere to "show off", since it's so nice! A good conversation piece.

Yup, I've seen oxidized chalcopyrite just like that. Bornite often looks copper-like just for a few seconds before it oxidizes into these vivid colors again.
Bornite is often also called peacock ore.

Welcome to the world of minerals!:coffee2:

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
#5 I should have said calcite on ?? When magnified galena stands out with the calcite (lime source) or other. An acid test would
test for calcite. Not sure if galena bonds with calcite or if the white translucent rock is something else.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#5 I should have said calcite on ?? When magnified galena stands out with the calcite (lime source) or other. An acid test would
test for calcite. Not sure if galena bonds with calcite or if the white translucent rock is something else.

Calcite and galena occur together quite often.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread