Skeptical Diamond?

ncuke

May 24, 2013
Not sure where I found this, but it was very clear and I recall wanting to keep it. Got my kid a scratch test kit for Christmas and we just broke it out the other day and practiced with what came in the kit. We then practiced on some stones we found and I cannot get anything to scratch this one rock - it scratches everything and pretty sure it is scratching the piece of corundum that came with the kit, but not positive. Leaves no color streak - just a carved line. So my mind wanders... it has very fine striations - tried to capture in the pic - almost like a fingerprint. Triangle shape also? Thoughts on sight alone?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500840199.830063.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500840234.687490.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500840260.449220.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the luster, but it's probably not a diamond. Try drawing a really dark line on a piece of paper. Then see if you can see the line through the stone. iof you can, it's not a diamond.
This test doesn't mean that if you can't it is a diamond, however.....just rules out diamond if you can.
Jim

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it registers on the Mohs Scale as a diamond for hardness, I would have it checked out by a reputable jeweler and preferably one that you know. Also it is very hard to tell from photos but it almost looks like it has triangular, macle shapes on surface and/or inside of the stone. If you have a jewelers loupe look inside of it. If you see triangular, macles in it then it actually is a diamond! Good luck and keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The existence of trigons is suggestive, but not definitive....other gems have trigons.
jim

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I am seeing some concoidal, or semi-concoidal fracturing, diamond has a perfect ochahedral fracture. I'm thinking not diamond, but could be another gemstone possibly? If you do a hardness test please let us know the results! Curious for sure....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ncuke

ncuke

May 24, 2013
Thanks everyone! We have a pretty reputable jeweler down the street so will take it there to see what they say. The hardness test is still a mystery. I'm using my #9 corundum and the corundum is turning white when marked against this stone. Here is a pic of the two pieces - you can see the white spot on the corundum near the bottom point. Clear stone remained completely unharmed. Any thoughts on what I have as corundum? Would I get a bad result from a bad sample in the hardness kit? I also scratched the beryl with ease. Thanks for all the replies - we will keep you posted! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500948093.446199.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ncuke

ncuke

May 24, 2013
Lastly noticed some interesting iridescent color coming out in the reflection. Also notice this side is a bit milky on the face ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500948521.692157.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The white powder from the test; ignore it. Occasionally its difficult to tell what rock produced the powder.
Look for the scratch it did or did not produce. Use a loupe if you can't see it, or "feel" it by rubbing your fingernail across the surface where you just tested.

If it's being troublesome; reverse it! See if the corundum will scratch your unknown. Don't be afraid to use a little bit of force.

Upvote 0

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white powder from the test; ignore it. Occasionally its difficult to tell what rock produced the powder.
Look for the scratch it did or did not produce. Use a loupe if you can't see it, or "feel" it by rubbing your fingernail across the surface where you just tested.

If it's being troublesome; reverse it! See if the corundum will scratch your unknown. Don't be afraid to use a little bit of force.

Are there very subtle differences in the higher hardnesses like that where you may not see a noticable scratch, but it indeed has scratched it? I havent found anything past quartz yet, or am i possibly being too scrutinous of the quartz not being pitted?

Upvote 0

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there very subtle differences in the higher hardnesses like that where you may not see a noticable scratch, but it indeed has scratched it? I havent found anything past quartz yet, or am i possibly being too scrutinous of the quartz not being pitted?

Diamond (10) is 4 times as hard as corundum (9) but corundum is twice as hard as topaz (8). That is why the Moh's scale is a relative hardness scale.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

No, it's simply a matter to help reduce human error. Sometimes we just miss it, don't see it...

Upvote 0

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone was interested I found a video on youtube about the harder minerals scratching quartz. It did show sometimes topaz can have a hard time scratching quartz, but corrundum easily scratched the topaz and you can see the build up of material from the scratch. Quartz starts at about 3:33...i guess my generation never got hardness kits as kids:headbang:

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I have sapphires with trigons.:thumbsup:

But the hardness of sapphires is lower on the Moh's hardness scale. In this particular instance the hardness was much higher which is also why I suggested to the op to look for the trigons as the two combined would make it definitive. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the hardness of sapphires is lower on the Moh's hardness scale. In this particular instance the hardness was much higher which is also why I suggested to the op to look for the trigons as the two combined would make it definitive. :thumbsup:
Yes you are absolutely right on the hardness, I had to re-read his post, as the first time I skimmed through it and did not realize that he had already done a hardness test!

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It still looks to me like there is one "window" where I can see clear through the stone. Maybe I'm wrong about that. It's tough to tell with pics, But if you can see clear through it...it's not a diamond.
Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread