IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with banded slate. I know quite a bit about the geology of my area, my question is this, can anyone identify this little polished rock as banded slate? And can anyone maybe identify the area it could have possibly come from? The context for it is, I have found it while artifact hunting, in the Boulder Batholith. This stone is definitely not from here....not saying I think it's an artifact, but I am wondering if someone can identify it as banded slate. Any comments about it are very welcome!

Attachments

• 1501098283286.jpg
    1501098283286.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 1501098311979.jpg
    1501098311979.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 94
  • 1501098336938.jpg
    1501098336938.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gastrolith maybe.
I could see that, however, where I found it has zero sedimentary rock, and zero fossils, this is an area of exposed monzonite. As I stated, I know the geology here very well. Are you thinking a dinosaur carried it here in it's gut? This is right on the continental divide, literally. I hope I don't sound argumentative, but this area of the continental divide is much newer than any dinosaurs that would carry gastroliths. What I mean my "newer" is, the volcanic activity from the Boulder batholith would have probably "consumed" anything carried by dinosaurs, if that makes any sense? This was all magma during the Cretaceous period, and then pushed up from tectnonic activity, which is still happening, (Just last month we had an earthquake of 5.8 that was very shallow, only 2km down!) If this is indeed slate, it does not belong here at all, as slate is a metamorphic [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]rock that is created by the alteration of shale or mudstone, Which again would be consumed by the voclanic activity of this area. I donno, maybe it's possible for it to be a gastrolith, but it seems unlikely to me, (but I could be wrong too!). I suppose I shouldn't have this in the artifacts section, but part of the reason I did post it here is because of some seeming to know alot about banded slate artifacts, and others mentioning "shaman" stones. I am at the time "on the fence" I suppose about "shaman" stones being a factual type of thing, maybe being in the same category as effigies, of which it seems to me are mostly a fake artifact (I'll probably catch some hate for that statement lol!) I'd like some more feed back on this, and I take your (quito) guess seriously. Sheesh, when I read what I just wrote, I feel like I am starting to ramble. I'll be strait forward, does anyone think this could be a shaman stone? Are shaman stones a real thing? If not, I still want to know if this could be banded slate! [/FONT]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread