Need Help Pinpointing Sites in SD

thejilly

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been googling the crap out of rockhounding sites around South Dakota, but have been having trouble finding sites that aren't so "remote". I'll be driving out west in a Mini-Van in a few weeks, so I'm hesitant to visit sites that require traversing miles and miles of unpaved dirt road.

I do know that the Buffalo Gap Grasslands is a good place to look, and I know about the Agate beds at Tepee, French Creek, and Railroad Buttes, etc. The problem is that much of these hot spot areas are pretty remote - or at least require the use of miles of dirt roads.

Can anyone provide me with some direction on where to look in less remote areas? Naturally, I'd try to locate some spots near a Picnic Areas, parks, pulloffs, etc., but I'm struggling to find spots around Wall or in the area between Black Hills, Badlands, and Rapid City.

I'll take any sort of vague directions or hints. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

TheOculus

Jun 10, 2017
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't personally know any collecting sites in SD but I know someone who might. Are you looking for Agates?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thejilly

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DakotaBirder

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2017
Brandon, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you.

Yes, I have researched the sites that come up with a google search. The problem is these particular sites require travel by dirt road, which I want to try and avoid, as the mini-van I will be traveling in won't handle that sort of terrain well (at least for 10s of miles)...

As long as it's dry, I wouldn't worry about the roads much. Any rain, and you need 4-wheel drive, and even then it can be a struggle with the gumbo/muck that forms. But if it's dry, you really wouldn't have any problem driving the gravel. Most of the roads are quite good.

Stop at the visitor's center for Buffalo Gap. They'll have maps of open sites for agate hunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thejilly

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's dry, I wouldn't worry about the roads much. Any rain, and you need 4-wheel drive, and even then it can be a struggle with the gumbo/muck that forms. But if it's dry, you really wouldn't have any problem driving the gravel. Most of the roads are quite good.

Stop at the visitor's center for Buffalo Gap. They'll have maps of open sites for agate hunting.

Thanks will try asking at the visitor centers!

I'm not the owner of the car, and they are not keen on traveling long distances on dirt roads, hence the want for more easily accessed sites.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how the trip went....

Upvote 0

usagold

Sep 15, 2010
Rapid City, S. Dak.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I've been googling the crap out of rockhounding sites around South Dakota, but have been having trouble finding sites that aren't so "remote". I'll be driving out west in a Mini-Van in a few weeks, so I'm hesitant to visit sites that require traversing miles and miles of unpaved dirt road.

I do know that the Buffalo Gap Grasslands is a good place to look, and I know about the Agate beds at Tepee, French Creek, and Railroad Buttes, etc. The problem is that much of these hot spot areas are pretty remote - or at least require the use of miles of dirt roads.

Can anyone provide me with some direction on where to look in less remote areas? Naturally, I'd try to locate some spots near a Picnic Areas, parks, pulloffs, etc., but I'm struggling to find spots around Wall or in the area between Black Hills, Badlands, and Rapid City.

I'll take any sort of vague directions or hints. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Are you looking for rocks like this?
http://i64.tinypic.com/2qdajip.jpg

Upvote 0

usagold

Sep 15, 2010
Rapid City, S. Dak.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
You are not going to get to the rock hunting sites without driving on dirt or gravel roads for at least 5,10 miles at the most. I drive into Railroad Buttes with my car and it is no problem unless it is wet. I'll tell you what. Get ahold of me about the time you want to go rock hunting, and I will take you out in my 4WD to some areas. I am retired and try to get out every other day if it is not raining. I live in town in Rapid.

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there,
Sorry to butt into this thread, but I want to find out if USAGOLD is still in thr Rapid City area? I'm new here, I live over by the airforce base in Box Elder and I'm trying to find someone who knows a bit about agate hunting! If you're still around, please let me know if you're available to go out rockhounding.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions