Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    us
    Jan 2007
    eastern Oklahoma
    Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
    7,837
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Miners Dollars




    These 'Pyrite' formations come from coal mines
    in the Eastern U.S., they are sometimes called
    'Miners Dollars', because the miners carried them
    out of the mine in their lunchboxes.

    Fossis...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	147456  
    fossil hunter Indian Artifact collector MDer Antique collector

  2. #2
    us
    Sep 2006
    Bridgeport, Texas
    488
    1 times

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Very neat fossis. I have lots of pyrite but have never seen disks like that.

  3. #3
    us
    Jan 2007
    eastern Oklahoma
    Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
    7,837
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by irbaddadjoe
    Very neat fossis. I have lots of pyrite but have never seen disks like that.
    Yeah Joe, they are pretty neat.

    Fossis..............
    fossil hunter Indian Artifact collector MDer Antique collector

  4. #4
    us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    5,871
    40 times

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Fossis,
    Is your "dollar" irridescent?
    sometimes they are coated with a microscopic coating of calcite that makes them look irridescent.

    I have seen some of these as big as hubcaps.

    Yours is a very nice size,
    The location on these is Illinois.

    OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

  5. #5
    us
    Jan 2007
    eastern Oklahoma
    Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
    7,837
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog
    Fossis,
    Is your "dollar" irridescent?
    sometimes they are coated with a microscopic coating of calcite that makes them look irridescent.

    I have seen some of these as big as hubcaps.

    Yours is a very nice size,
    The location on these is Illinois.

    OD

    I don't think this one is, I wasn't sure which state,
    thanks for the info.

    Fossis..............
    fossil hunter Indian Artifact collector MDer Antique collector

  6. #6
    us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    5,871
    40 times

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Fossis,
    The location on these ia a classic because it is one of the only places in the world where pyrite takes this form.
    This habit is usually taken by Marcasite which can be mistaken for pyrite in some cases.
    Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your piece my friend.

    Be the collector first, the investor second. the collector will spend the time it takes to enjoy each piece..... before he researches the value.

    OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

  7. #7
    us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    5,871
    40 times

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Superduty,

    Not a fossil!!!
    These things form in between layers of coal and shale and are commonly coated with a microscopic druze of calcite that gives them an iridescent appearance.

    There are pictures of them in the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals. Picture numbers are 616, 617, 618 respectively.
    The mineral description is on page 374.

    They are really neat and if you are from Illinois you should get a couple for your collection.
    They are kind of unique to your area.

    OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

  8. #8
    us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    5,871
    40 times

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Superduty,

    Sorry to let you down Buddy,
    They are concretions that form in the layers of coal shales.
    Not fossil echinoderms - sand dollars.

    And the Sparta Illinois location is famous for these.
    They test out as Pyrite and are a classic.
    They have the crystal habit of a mineral called Marcasite, and a few un educated collectors will try to argue that they are in fact Marcasite. Where chemical testing proves them wrong every time.

    Enjoy
    OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

  9. #9
    us
    Jan 2007
    eastern Oklahoma
    Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
    7,837
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Miners Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by superduty
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog
    Superduty,

    Sorry to let you down Buddy,
    They are concretions that form in the layers of coal shales.
    Not fossil echinoderms - sand dollars.

    And the Sparta Illinois location is famous for these.
    They test out as Pyrite and are a classic.
    They have the crystal habit of a mineral called Marcasite, and a few un educated collectors will try to argue that they are in fact Marcasite. Where chemical testing proves them wrong every time.
    Enjoy
    OD
    I was wrong! Ohhh Jeeesssshhh...... Thats NEVER hapen before!!!!!!!! j/k Thanks for the good info .... BTW I live very near Sparta...
    That's okay Superduty, I was only wrong once
    last year, (thats when I thought I was wrong).

    Fossis.............
    fossil hunter Indian Artifact collector MDer Antique collector

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

artifacts found in coal mines
,
cleaning miners dollars
,
coal dollars
,

coal miner dollars

,
coal miners dollar
,
coal miners dollars
,

miner dollars

,

miners dollar

,

miners dollars

,
what is a miners dollar
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3