Type of crystal? Rock?

Jfranko

Oct 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify this for me. It is very brittle and non magnetic.

I also found this little interesting one. Non magnetic, the outer green it very hard where as the white insiDE is slightly softer.

New to rocks and stuff and would be very pleased to know more about these two finds.

20171009_190535.jpg 20171009_190558.jpg 20171009_192839.jpg 20171009_192814.jpg

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brittle specimen appears to either be gypsum or calcite. An acid test would tell. As to the split pea looking one, kinda neat, I'm inclined to think its a jade with quartz thru the middle that is semi crystalline.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with DDancer on the brittle specimen, the fracturing looks alot like calcite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jfranko

Oct 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for answering. And yes DDancer the split pea one is definitely neat and remains my favorite out of all the rocks I collected this time.
I did a basic hardness test with my nail, a penny and an iron nail.
The first crystallized rock got scratched with iron nail.
The pea one, green part did not get scratched but the white part yes with the iron but still hard to do.
The green rock scratches the first rock.

So I'm figuring the first one is probably a calcite with I don't know what else in it to make the beige/orange tint
And the second one is stronger than iron, at least the green part is.
If it were jade would it not be somewhat translucent? I hold it up to the light and see nothing coming through.
Am I on the right path?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheOculus

Jun 10, 2017
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you got it to me Jfranko! Good job.

Maybe the little green one is part of the Serpentine group and the white could be calcite or dolomite?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardness is to high for serpentine in my opinion TheOculus. As to my inclination for calling it jade, or a jadeite, thats really just a call on the color and probability its a high silicate similar to chalcedony. A particularly hard form of malachite could be true as well. Making a call from pictures is difficult in the extreme unless there are distinctive features present in the photo and various tests described.
Not all jades are translucent, most are not in fact, however the more valuable forms are so your thinking is not incorrect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread