vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved from Today's Finds! over to Forum: Rocks/Gems for more exposure.

Upvote 0

ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can someone help identify? Can’t break any pieces off but not giving it my all either. Found off niantic bay in Connecticut. Looks cool.

It looks like it could be high grade Anthracite Coal, or if very hard even Jet.

Could you perhaps try something? If you could find a white tile- probably easier on a plain white tile, or perhaps it may even work on a piece of paper, or a large piece of quartz if you have one, but perhaps try and see if you can scratch the black rock against the tile surface.

See if you can get a dark colored streak out of it. If I remember correctly a blacker streak indicates coal, and a browner streak will likely indicate perhaps jet.

I could be wrong on this, I am unsure if my memory serves me correctly, anyone who may know please do correct me if I am wrong on that.

None the less try and see if you can get this black piece to make a mark on something like a light colored tile or quartz piece.

To me, my best guess would be Anthracite coal.

Staff.jpg

It looks like the piece of Anthracite Coal on top of my Staff. That is why I feel coal is a possibility or Jet, high grade coal.

Perhaps others here have some more thoughts on this.

I am not an expert. I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cwh3785

Mar 18, 2018
Rhode island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I didn’t have a tile, but I scratched an X on this rock. Not sure what this rock is either. Sorry folks I’m a rookie. Thanks for all the help and info!!!

Attachments

• 546530BD-3898-4330-A3B4-7E96EFD8372E.jpeg
    546530BD-3898-4330-A3B4-7E96EFD8372E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 261
Upvote 0

ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I didn’t have a tile, but I scratched an X on this rock. Not sure what this rock is either. Sorry folks I’m a rookie. Thanks for all the help and info!!!

Never be sorry for that man. We all have to start somewhere right?

Yes scratching the x is a very good indicator that what you have there is Anthracite Coal. I actually have no doubts there.

Finding it in Connecticut adds up as well. Eastern Northern states, especially Connecticut, Virginia, are very likely to have Anthracite about.

Coal while in the opinion of most probably isn't the most expensive find, it is none the less a practical material.

I personally delight when I find coal. Just that thing you want on hand to get a roaring fire going while out on a camping trip/ retreat, if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Well that said, welcome here to treasure net, keep up exploring and looking for unique finds.

You never know.

Besides that it can definitely be fun.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread