strange rock with spheres inside, ID please?

30-hot-06

Apr 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother found this rock in a box of river rock. It raised some question to what it is and how it is formed. I know very little about the different types of rocks and would love to learn more.

This rock is flat, dark, and seems very brittle and would be easy to chip away. Flint? chert? however there are two almost perfect spheres "trapped" inside. Both I can feel on both sides of the rock. One of the spheres is a brownish color on one side and dark on the other, and the other sphere is black on both.

Attachments

• IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3886 (1).jpg
    IMG_3886 (1).jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 65

XGPX0001

Greenie
Mar 19, 2018
Little Rock, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics - Omega 8500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My grandmother found this rock in a box of river rock. It raised some question to what it is and how it is formed. I know very little about the different types of rocks and would love to learn more.

This rock is flat, dark, and seems very brittle and would be easy to chip away. Flint? chert? however there are two almost perfect spheres "trapped" inside. Both I can feel on both sides of the rock. One of the spheres is a brownish color on one side and dark on the other, and the other sphere is black on both.

Looks like shale. You also mentioned brittle and river.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard 30-hot-06! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
metal_detector.gif
2nd - it sure would help if you let us know where the rock was found (if you know it).

Upvote 0
OP
OP

30-hot-06

Apr 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like shale. You also mentioned brittle and river.

Oh, i'm sorry I had to make an account fast, This rock is in Iowa however it was purchased in a bundle of 'river rock' So it is hard to determine where it came from.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with XGPX, it appears to be shale. Try a streak test and hardness test. The sphere's are likely concretions of another mineral~ the light coloration and grainy look of the one in the first picture makes me think of a carbonate and the dark one is still covered over by the host material.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shale, indeed. The "bumps" are often small clay lumps.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread