Skull Shaped Object with a round object fused to it.

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found this object in Northern Georgia. I found it in a fire pit. I noticed that the rock had soot on it which looked odd. So I lifted the host rock and this object popped out. Inside the host rock is an impression of this object. I took it to a rock, gem, mineral, and fossil store and the woman said that it appeared to be a fossilized skull of some sort. She didn't have the resources to identify it 100%.

Here are some pictures:

Skull1.jpg skull2.jpg skull3.jpg

A video can be seen at:

Any idea?

Thanks.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossilized Skull

I found this object in northern Georgia. I took it to a rock, gem, mineral, and fossil store and the woman said that it appears to be a fossilized skull with a round object fused to it. She didn't have the resources to give me a full ID.

Here are pictures:

Skull1.jpg skull2.jpg skull3.jpg

Here is a video:

Any idea?

Thanks.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I can't tell you what it is... but it is not a fossilized skull. It honestly just looks like cement to me... but if it's not, it is just some kind inclusion composed of a different lithic material that was able to be popped out of another rock.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your opinion.

Thank you.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see any indications of it being anything other than an ordinary rock.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this to UGA's geology department today. The professor said that it was approximately 250 million years old and it is a cast of a creature. I am going to meet with their paleontologist soon to get more details on what exactly the creature is.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool please let us know what they tell you!

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skull specimen.

I know that I've posted this in the past...but I have updated info.

Took this to the University of Georgia and spoke with a geologist. He said it was a very old cast of a creature that died. It is a skull. He estimated 250 million years old. However...this looks too human...possibly primate. Which I don't think were around that long ago. Found in north Georgia in the blue ridge province where no history of fossils are. Does anyone have any resources to help me identify what species this is?
Thanks.

skull6.jpg skull5.jpg skull4.jpg skull3.jpg skull2.jpg skulll1.jpg

Here is a new video:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see it. It may be what was preserved of the sediment that filled a skull, of which none of the skull remains. Does not look like any fossilized bone in your specimen.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
That item may be a cast, but it is NOT a skull. Casts, by definition, are not even fossils. I find many casts near my home. Most are shell casts. All are sedimentary material. Sandstone, if you will. Zero material from the original clam, oyster, snail, or other water creature that the shape represents.

If the geologist you took it to has extensive experience in paleontology, I may accept the opinion, but most geologists I have met are very lacking in experience with fossils and related materials.

Time for more coffee.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks more like part from a vertebrae from a whale or something else that large.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a rock. Not a fossil, not a cast. Your "Geologist" needs to finish his freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years of study. Lairmo could give your rock the proper treatment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread