Found this rock in the desert in texas has odd properties

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did streak test silver matalic part streaks dark grey,black Rock part streaked red. They are not mixed together but hooked to each other. I though hematite and magnatite, but their attractions to a magnet is backwards for those. It is heavy and acclamates to hot or cold in less than a minute 20180415_071058.jpg 20180415_001953.jpg 20180413_202447.jpg 20180415_070931.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one know what it is. I hung it from a string and it just spun in a circle,makes a compass go crazy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we LOVE rocks around here ........without rocks where would we be....?

Upvote 0
A

Audozer

Bk I'm pretty sure Charlie wasn't trying to offend you I think he was just saying that it is implied that this particular section leans more toward the identification of artifacts as opposed to minerals and rocks, I believe you would be more successful at getting a proper ID in rocks/gems. Neat looking rock by the way

Upvote 0

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impure magnetite?

But please - take it to a site that cares about rocks. Like the link below. We're after artifacts here.

Rocks/Gems
No where in the name of this forum does it say it's for artifacts, it's simply "our discoveries" which bkfinds discovered this, and "what is it" which he/she wants to know. He/she has every right to post it here, yes they may get a better response in the rock and gem forum, but that doesn't give you a right to try to run him/her out of here under false pretenses that this is an artifact section because it is not.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bkfinds
I am moving your post to where the experts are in this type of identification. I am sorry the other members were so rude here. You have the right to post it here or in the geological section where people are more knowledgable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted in the geological section 5 days ago,only tried here for more exposure because it's pretty slow getting a response there.didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers that want this forum for their self

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to a couple of deserts, but have lived in Texas most of my life... where did you find a desert?????

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BKfinds, speaking for myself and maybe a few others here in the Rock forum, it is difficult to identify most minerals with just a picture unless they have outstanding attributes. In many cases one of us will ask for simple tests to narrow down what something maybe as well as locality for what is being shown. If we are slow around here its because we want to do the best we can to help out.... or we simply don't know. So post away here if you'd like someone to take a crack at identifying you finds. With some minerals like the one shown you can also try the Gold forum where prospectors and miners hang out.
I enjoy the challenge personally but I dont respond to everyone's posts :)

You streak tested the specimen, great, the dark grey to me indicates that the metalic portion may be lead~ galena with something more in it. The red indicates iron minerals like hematite. If there is enough magnetite in it then your compass and magnet on a string experiments have some value however these are not really considered good ways to test a mineral. Galena and hematite or iron minerals can occur together in some localities so where you found it may be of value. Often they appear separated. Looks neat though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found south of Columbus Texas where it was just sand and cactus. Just sitting on top in the middle of nowhere.the part that streaks red like hematite is magnetic, just thought that was odd

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found south of Columbus Texas where it was just sand and cactus. Just sitting on top in the middle of nowhere.the part that streaks red like hematite is magnetic, just thought that was odd
Hematite can be magnetic. Interesting find!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hematite can be magnetic. Interesting find!

I'd like to point out: Usually if hematite appears to be magnetic it is due to (trace) amounts of magnetite.
Hematite on it's own isn't magnetic.

_________

Will a knife scratch the silvery stuff?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,hardly could do any thing to it even with a machete file. On both parts.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a lot of rocks in the desert just sitting in the middle of no where ;) EU points out an interesting fact concerning hematite as well ( :ruby: ).
The hardness is a bit high but I'm thinking pyrite or pyrrhotite are candidates for the silver stuff. I get the impression its monoclinic from the bright spots that show how it fractures.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to point out: Usually if hematite appears to be magnetic it is due to (trace) amounts of magnetite.
Hematite on it's own isn't magnetic.

_________

Will a knife scratch the silvery stuff?
Thank you sir for correcting me! I learned something new!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks those suggestions make sence. It definitely is monoclinic,having crystal like structure on the silver part that is not uniform. The what seems to be hematite part being magnetic is what kept stumping me through my own research. The suggestion being made have been helpful in narrowing it down more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks that makes sence. The silver part is definitely monoclinic having a crystal like structure that is not uniform. The hematite looking part being magnetic is what kept stumping me through my own research. Your suggestions have been helpful in narrowing it down. I've seen pictures of lodestone that looked the same.would that streak red? I figure my rock is probably volcanic sence we found a lot of petrafied wood and a perfect fossilized reptile skull there. Sence part of the silver part is melted also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread