Help ID and learn

outdoorhiker

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m tilling some land for my garden and have been digging up basketball size rocks (the pile) all coming from the same area. Then I discovered this big one, with odd angles, and had to ask: is this my gift from past glaciers, possible old foundation, or probably a 20 year rock pile on edge of yard (although not the same uniformity of rest of moved dirt/ rock) when house foundation was dug.
rock2.png
If anything, am curious on the type of rock and its likely story/geology- if I would be wrong to break away the upper portion. I’m located in central Alaska and am using this rock as an intro to my geology skills. Thanks!
rock.png
rock3.png

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a glacial drop, not one that ground along under the ice. I can relate to what you're doing, trying to find soil in all that glacial till. Good luck. Don't wreck your back.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Kray, a drop. As to what type of stone it is your curious about its kinda hard to say. It looks like its sedimentary, very compact, and hard so a high silicate value. Sedimentary rocks often break apart at sharp angles and flats due to the layered way they are formed. Those boulders your pulling might make a good fence and you could use the angled one for a corner stone. A thought. Luck with the sifting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread