Need help identifying rock/crystal

Dmavros

Jul 19, 2018
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I found this rock recently in New Hampshire while I was hiking. I'm very new to rock/mineral hunting. I've been doing some research but haven't been able to pinpoint what the crytals are and what the rock type it's sitting in is. Thanks in advance to any help! 20180717_125613.jpg 20180717_125551.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum. That's a really nice specimen, and I'm sure someone will respond with exactly what those crystals are. My initial thought is black tourmaline.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from the pic, can you tell me if they are hexagonal? It reminds me of augite or allanite, but I need to research their crystal habits again.....

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from the pic, can you tell me if they are hexagonal? It reminds me of augite or allanite, but I need to research their crystal habits again..... It could be schorl like Jim suggests, but the uniform look of a hexagonal crystal in the first pic has me guessing......I don't know how I posted twice here.......weird.... lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dmavros

Jul 19, 2018
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha thanks for the reply! Yea so it seems hexagonal, though in between each face they seem to have a smaller face. Maybe these new pics will help.

20180719_173757.jpg 20180719_173845.jpg 20180719_173838.jpg 20180719_173812.jpg 20180719_173744.jpg

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also now thinking black tourmaline, (schorl) after seeing your new pics, those are some nice specimens!:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dmavros

Jul 19, 2018
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm also now thinking black tourmaline, (schorl) after seeing your new pics, those are some nice specimens!:icon_thumright:

Awesome, thank you! Yes, I was very happy when I found this one, just kicked a rock out on a main hiking trail and picked it up when I saw some of the black on it. Man, was I surprised when I got a good look. It really sparked my interest in prospecting, my first cool find.

Any idea what the tourmaline might be in? it's very grainy. kinda sandy but seems pretty hard and breaks apart in small granules with a little force. Sandy quartz?

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome, thank you! Yes, I was very happy when I found this one, just kicked a rock out on a main hiking trail and picked it up when I saw some of the black on it. Man, was I surprised when I got a good look. It really sparked my interest in prospecting, my first cool find.

Any idea what the tourmaline might be in? it's very grainy. kinda sandy but seems pretty hard and breaks apart in small granules with a little force. Sandy quartz?

yeah, looks like quartzite

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread