Unknown stone found on beach

Kenzie85

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I believe this is the best place to find the answer for my son of 8. We are from Scotland and enjoy exploring caves and sea shores, today we came across this stone which looked strange, at first glance I thought it was a large piece of flint but I’m doubting myself now... any idea what this could be?

image.jpg
image.jpg

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks to me a lot like it could be a broken largish Tektite.
Tektite's are gravel-sized bodies composed of black, green, brown, or gray natural glass formed from terrestrial debris ejected during meteorite impacts. Sometimes they are ejected with such great energy that it actually exits earths atmosphere and re-enters on a ballistic path radiating away from the impact, and solidifying into sometimes aerodynamic shapes on its way back to the ground.
What I cant figure is the hollow round marking in the middle..
Pretty cool.. Nice Find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is flint. Been polished by the sea or a glacier. Nice piece, we don't see that in Colorado.

Upvote 0

TreasureAnn

Jul 15, 2018
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is chalcedony, it can occur in all types of colours. Made up of fine silica minerals. Beautiful find.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kenzie85

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it possibly be JADE stone. Colorado??? wish I was there right now lol

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Looks like flint to me but you have probably seem more of the stuff than I have.
That round shape might be a fossil. Should cross post to fossil forum.

Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first thing that i saw was an eye looking at me..I like it....

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was in my teens I visited Grimes Graves. It is one of the oldest known mines in the British Isles and is a flint mine. I have seen a lot of flint. I actually lived in Suffolk, an area well known for stone age tools. At the time I was really interested in archaeology. I'm more interested in mining precious metals now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grime's_Graves

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a flint nodule from my collection. It's a flint ball that has been broken in half. As you can see, it has a similar area as yours in the center different from the flint. I think what we are seeing on your sample and mine is "the grain of sand the pearl formed around" so to speak. Remember, nodular flint forms in layers like a pearl. The white donut on your sample is likely spherical in shape if looked at in 3D. Gary

DSC09054.JPG

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Mr. Point
Your rock is completely different from Kenzie’s rock.
I have spent several hours looking at pictures on the internet so please believe me when I say I am an expert on this subject now.
Kenzie85’s piece of flint clearly has a weetosolarian embedded in it. These tire shaped creatures used to live in milky white seas where the English isles are now. They are now found in what is called the Weetabix formation.
Your piece of chert obviously has a giant fruitloopoid embedded in it. Fruitloopoids used to live in the milky white seas where the central US is now. They are found in the Kellog formation.
I would caution everyone not to mock my research. Otherwise I will be forced to post pictures of my collection of petrified diamond Native American artifacts that were used to cut up dinosaurs that ate coconuts.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Point
Your rock is completely different from Kenzie’s rock.
I have spent several hours looking at pictures on the internet so please believe me when I say I am an expert on this subject now.
Kenzie85’s piece of flint clearly has a weetosolarian embedded in it. These tire shaped creatures used to live in milky white seas where the English isles are now. They are now found in what is called the Weetabix formation.
Your piece of chert obviously has a giant fruitloopoid embedded in it. Fruitloopoids used to live in the milky white seas where the central US is now. They are found in the Kellog formation.
I would caution everyone not to mock my research. Otherwise I will be forced to post pictures of my collection of petrified diamond Native American artifacts that were used to cut up dinosaurs that ate coconuts.

:notworthy::BangHead::dontknow:??? :D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread