another one for ID please

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like my last id request, pretty sure this is nothing unusual to you guys but I found it interesting. My photos did not really capture the color correctly but in the sunlight it is more green than anything. Thx. close up.jpg rock2.jpg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay you've probably forgotten more about rocks than I even know, but isn't it "gabbro"? Gary

So what's your point Todd? (sorry I just had to do that) :laughing7:

Of course you are right Gary. Old man slow brain. But I want to explain why this word sometimes confuses me.

Back in the old days I originally named this rock grab-oh because one of my fellow cavemen by the name of Fred (his best friend was Barney) was always picking up these rocks when he should have been watching for Mastodons or Dinosaurs. (I told you I was old) Every time Fred would see one of these rocks he would grab it up and say "oh - what's this Clay"? Grab-oh was an obvious choice back then.

Fast forward to 1813 and this new guy, Christian Leopold von Buch, comes along and hears the rock is called grab-oh and being German he decides someone must have made a mistake and writes a book telling the world I must have meant to name the rock Gabbro after the town in Italy. He was saying stuff like "Clay can't spell" and "You can't trust an old caveman" etc. I found it very prejudicial but what are you going to do? Cavemen were so out of fashion at the time that the most popular hashtag was #HateCavePeople - like it mattered whether you lived in a detached rock house or a cave. Eventually gabbro caught on and here we are today.

Or I could have just misspelled the word. :BangHead:

Well ...back to the cave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what's your point Todd? (sorry I just had to do that) :laughing7:

Of course you are right Gary. Old man slow brain. But I want to explain why this word sometimes confuses me.

Back in the old days I originally named this rock grab-oh because one of my fellow cavemen by the name of Fred (his best friend was Barney) was always picking up these rocks when he should have been watching for Mastodons or Dinosaurs. (I told you I was old) Every time Fred would see one of these rocks he would pick it up and say "oh - what's this Clay"? Grab-oh was an obvious choice back then.

Fast forward to 1813 and this new guy, Christian Leopold von Buch, comes along and hears the rock is called grab-oh and being German he decides someone must have made a mistake and writes a book telling the world I must have meant to name the rock Gabbro after the town in Italy. He was saying stuff like "Clay can't spell" and "You can't trust an old caveman" etc. I found it very prejudicial but what are you going to do? Cavemen were so out of fashion at the time that the most popular hashtag was #HateCavePeople - like it mattered whether you lived in a detached rock house or a cave. Eventually gabbro caught on and here we are today.

Or I could have just misspelled the word. :BangHead:

Well ...back to the cave.

LMAO

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000