Is this nephrite I found in southern Oregon?

Snorlax

Aug 28, 2017
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Explorer SE
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 5C0A00BC-9F53-4C4A-89EF-16DEEEC5CD3F.jpeg
    5C0A00BC-9F53-4C4A-89EF-16DEEEC5CD3F.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 597
  • DB8CDBB6-9E54-4AC9-B9D8-620041133A0C.jpeg
    DB8CDBB6-9E54-4AC9-B9D8-620041133A0C.jpeg
    890.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Nephrite Jade can be found in SW Oregon. I have found samples near the mouth of both the Rogue and Chetco rivers. While the pics provided are helpful, the descriptive of it feeling waxy likely narrows it down to the suspected Nephrite and higher quality Serpentine. A local rockhound or lapidary with experience in both jade and serpentine should get you a definitive answer.

I should add that I have been told that there is a deposit of very dark green nephrite on the Umpqua, similar in appearance to yours, near Bunch Bar, although I have never found any in that area.

Past time for more coffee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Snorlax

Aug 28, 2017
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Explorer SE
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, and it was indeed found in SW Oregon, close to Port Orford. Not too far from the mouth of the Rogue.

Forgot to mention it was a beach find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cacarr

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2019
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've lately taken an interest in Oregon nephrite. I need to check a geological map, but I'm a bit surprised to hear of a possible deposit as far north as Bunch Bar. Nephrite should be in ophiolites, maybe at contact zones with granitoid intrusions?

I'm under the impression Bunch Bar area is in the Siletzia terrane -- which is mostly basalt and sandstones and such.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I said that I have been told of nephrite jade in the vicinity of Bunch Bar. While I have not found any in that stretch of the Umpqua River, I can not rule it out simply because of general geological features. In decades of picking up rock across much of the American West, I have found odd items in unusual places.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
These are Oregon finds that I presumed to be some sort of jasper. Once again, I'm unable to say exactly where in Oregon they came from. (Sorry!) Most of them have the waxy exterior you describe. The largest piece has one polished side...

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have been told by rockhounds around the west that there are several small deposits of jade in Oregon. Every location I have personally collected at, with the exception of Southwest Oregon, has been green jasper, green petrified wood, or green obsidian (near Burns). Granted, I have not been to every location I have been told about, so some may be legitimate.

Your samples, Bridgetown, have the right color for jade found in Oregon. Some green jaspers have a similar color, so that alone means little. The waxy feel that nephrite has is evident on a polished surface. Jaspers and petrified wood will feel smooth and a bit slick when highly polished, and can present a mirror like appearance.

With exceptions, neither nephrite nor jadeite will polish to a mirror like appearance. I have polished many jaspers and woods that I could clearly see reflections in. Not so with any jades I have worked with.

Another characteristic of nephrite is the fiberous appearance of some cracks, particularly near the natural weathered surface. I do not know if this is a characteristic of jadeite, because all jadeite I have worked with have been cut blocks suitable for a lapidary.

If you want to know, take them to a good rock shop, rockhound, lapidary, or perhaps a geologist.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

cacarr

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2019
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to be certain from the images alone, but that does very much look like chalcedony to me. Quite a lot of attractive green jasper is found in Oregon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread