wondering what the possibiliy is...

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...of finding anything worthwhile in landscape stones? the pic shows a dried stream bed/storm runoff in my backyard (was there when I bought the home last year). I once found a cool fossil in a delivery of stone when I was a kid (pic below)...has anyone found anything like agates or other interesting rocks in landscape store bought stone?
yard stream1.jpg yard stones1.jpg shell.jpg

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Guess it depends on your definition of worthwhile.
Probably nothing worth any money though.
There could be lots of different kinds of rocks in that kind of landscape cobble. I have seen gravel on a driveway that was made up of old ocean tumbled stones. About half of them were some form of Silicon dioxide.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure why not. Where the rocks come from would be central in my mind.
A rock company I have had dealings with on another subject was always analyzing samples.
Three guys full time. So I doubt much would get past them. But this was gravel and there has
been gold in the gravels close by.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're in WI so those rocks you posted are likely glacial till. I'm south of you and have the same glacial stuff. If you search hard you can find an amazing variety of rocks and fossils in the glacial till. You just have to look past all the igneous rocks, which are by far the majority. Gary

Upvote 0

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags of bright white crushed quartz for landscaping, this Pyrite with quartz matrix stood right out.
pyrite1.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pretty cool find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions