Rock... non magnetic but detectible

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks... I'm hoping a) that this isn't the wrong forum to try queries out on and b) maybe someone out there can tell me what I have please.

IMG_20180806_230451571_HDR.jpg IMG_20180806_230502364_HDR.jpg

Two pics... one of either side of the rock. This thing is not magnetic... tried a strong magnet to see if any drag and there isn't. Now the item came up with an approximate item id of 30 - 34 I think. I'm rechecking tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that is what it was... I know this is rock hounding but I also figure that a lot of detectorists probably dabble in both ponds so I'm not too far off adding that for info. The item was at the sea shore and found in the moist sand about 4 inches down. I really don't know what else to offer... I've looked online and haven't found any pictures that are similar so I can't make an educated guess as to what it might be. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

many thanks,
Mike

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron ore possibly could have some hematite. I'm not for sure but it is my best guess. Comes in different colors of brown to black depending on area. Is it heavy for it's size? I would have thought it to be a meteorite too. Rocks are treasures too! Even unprocessed earth metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavier yes than I'd expect for it's size. I'll go with Iron ore... it's a bit higher on the id scale then I'd expect but I'll check that again today to make sure. I'd love a meteorite but in all honesty I've read that they're not a find everyday at the beach. Fun finding it whatever it is... I'll put it on my finds with an Iron ore listing and a question mark. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considered slag?

Not arguing here... or trying not to... but slag for me has a slightly different meaning than what I'm seeing on my desk. Slag for me is the scum left over from when iron or other metals are processed. The closest I'd come here would be clinker (or klinker) which is the left overs from coal mining... the klinker pile is where you toss the dross from your digging. My stone doesn't seem processed and while I acknowledge the waves and sand have probably worn it smooth with tidal action... it doesn't look like the cut stone I've seen from mines. Ok maybe I am arguing a bit sorry... just not what I'm used to via my experience.

thanks though.

Upvote 0

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gotta go with your gut! Let me know if you get something more definitive. You might have a local rock gem mineral club in your area. Id look into that. Just a far fetch could it have some paladium? Since it scored higher than iron. Noticed you are from Canada and I thought I read that there is a huge mine there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not arguing here... or trying not to... but slag for me has a slightly different meaning than what I'm seeing on my desk. Slag for me is the scum left over from when iron or other metals are processed. The closest I'd come here would be clinker (or klinker) which is the left overs from coal mining... the klinker pile is where you toss the dross from your digging. My stone doesn't seem processed and while I acknowledge the waves and sand have probably worn it smooth with tidal action... it doesn't look like the cut stone I've seen from mines. Ok maybe I am arguing a bit sorry... just not what I'm used to via my experience.

thanks though.

Just a thought, because those "roundish" holes could be gas bubbles from slag.
Older historic metal production methods produced slag of various looks and sorts. I've seen slag similar to yours.

Example:
https://plus.google.com/photos/106045608115852817529/albums/6088766899470119105/6088776570264199746

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions