How did pepple work turquoise or soapstone?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Although most videos on the subject of working turquoise show a variety of modern tools, I remember seeing a few, years ago, that showed native Americans using traditional tools and techniques. I would assume that to find any of those on YouTube, a few hundred or more would have to be reviewed for each winner.

An alternative would be to find artists that use traditional tools and techniques. There may still be several in New Mexico and Arizona who keep the craft alive.

Too late for more coffee.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Although most videos on the subject of working turquoise show a variety of modern tools, I remember seeing a few, years ago, that showed native Americans using traditional tools and techniques. I would assume that to find any of those on YouTube, a few hundred or more would have to be reviewed for each winner.

An alternative would be to find artists that use traditional tools and techniques. There may still be several in New Mexico and Arizona who keep the craft alive.

Too late for more coffee.

No shortage of stone and silversmiths here.
Turquoise could be shaped with a grinder and buffed smooth.
If a grinder is available a buffing wheel could be attached. Read on how to attach a stick to the stone before grinding your fingers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread