What is this? Aventurine?

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm quite new to prospecting, and would like help identifying these stones that I found in the river. I live in NW MN on a glacially carved river, and found these recently. I have tried id'ing them, and I am leaning toward saying this is red or pink aventurine. I cut a piece with a saw, as seen in the pictures, it is also slightly translucent at the edge when a flashlight is held to it. Where I live was once glacial lake Agassiz, I also think I found some fossilized bone or petrified wood in the other pics, what say you, and thanks in advance!

_JON5447.jpg _JON5447-2.jpg _JON5449.jpg _JON5449-2.jpg _JON5453.jpg _JON5458.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone at least know if the first 2 photos are aventurine? I am polishing the piece up better, and can provide more pics if needed. The more I polish it, the more I think it is aventurine, it shows some silvery colored specs and is slightly translucent, nice looking stuff.

Also, if it is aventurine, is there any value to it? I found a deposit of the stuff, not sure how much is there, but there is quite a bit, and when I dig there is more underground in that area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I researched, aren't aventurine and quartzite the same thing?

Ugh, dunno. I don't have my gemology books on hand.

From right on top of my head, I recall it involving Mica, which gives it a nice sparkle after cutting.
Not all quartzite has/does that, which separates "ordinary" quartzite from aventurine. You'd need to check under magnification?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I did more research and saw that much of the red aventurine for sale nowadays is red quartzite, with little to no mica inclusions, but like you say, "true" aventurine has sparkly mica or hematite inclusions and will display aventurescence when polished. I am awaiting my tumbler to see how it is looking after a high polish. Thanks again! I have lots to learn and appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread