Video - Prospecting for crystals in Ontario Vein Dykes

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you sure that isn't a pegmatite dike? ;)

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice dog.

Never heard of a vein dyke. In San Fransisco there were some vain dykes but none of them I ever met were named crystal. :laughing7:

Definitely pegmatite with some good crystallization. Not calcite but some of those feldspar might make a reasonable moonstone. The Apatite is too soft for jewelry use but they make nice table specimens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prospecting on a private claim for crystals in calcite vein dykes. Ontario, Canada.

Locally, they are called vein dykes because the intrusion is mostly calcite and feldspar whereby the calcite is eroded first making the dyke. The big argument is vein dyke vs fissure. Some here absolutely hate it when they are called fissures. Overall, I would also generally call it a pegmatite. One can also find some quartz and muscovite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice dog.

Never heard of a vein dyke. In San Fransisco there were some vain dykes but none of them I ever met were named crystal. :laughing7:

Definitely pegmatite with some good crystallization. Not calcite but some of those feldspar might make a reasonable moonstone. The Apatite is too soft for jewelry use but they make nice table specimens.

I am sure one named Crystal could be found pole dancing somewhere.

Unfortunately, the feldspar in this area is missing the inclusions to make it a moonstone. However, some of the apatite is considered gemmy, but not the weathered stuff. Anything that has been frozen/thawed over the years generally falls apart when removed from the calcite. It is 5 on mohs which I would not want cut for a ring, but some do it. Probably better to wire wrap a complete crystal for a pendant.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure that isn't a pegmatite dike? ;)

Locally, they are called vein dykes because the intrusion is mostly calcite, anthabol and feldspar, whereby the calcite is eroded first. The big argument is vein dyke vs fissure. Some here absolutely hate it when they are called fissures. Overall, I would also generally call it a pegmatite -one can also find some quartz and muscovite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread