Odd small rock

Tin-Gin

Oct 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN5325.JPG RSCN5329.JPG RSCN5331.JPG RSCN5337.JPG RSCN5340.JPG

Hi, I found this a few years back and have posted it on another thread here until I saw this thread and thought it might be more appropriate. Sorry I'm new here. It has an odd metallic look on parts of it and what appears to have on it some sort of letter, number or ? A magnet doesn't stick to it and it's not paint since I tested for that. Any thoughts on it. Thank You!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possible meteorite?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum. Not a meteorite, sorry Dizzy :) Try a hardness test and streak test to help us narrow it down but off the top of my head it appears to have a lot of silicate the yellow, quartz or chalcedony, and the dark material looks to be hematite, an iron mineral thats normally not magnetic. As to the grove its likely an old fracture thats worn down. Overall it looks like its water worn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tin-Gin

Oct 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DDancer, I don't know a thing about rocks just marbles lol. I had to look up the streak and hardness test. I tried scratching it with my nail and went to a penny on the thin part. It made it really silver looking - hematite?(see attached pic) Not sure what that means. Since I didn't have an unglazed white tile I tried to do it on an unglazed tan tile in our shower but I couldn't get anything. Thanks for all the help! RSCN5480.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread