lights on, lights off and the afterglow....(image heavy)

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UV light shows some nice details..

fl1.jpg

fl2.jpg

fl afterglow.jpg

fl rock.jpg

fl rock2.jpg

fl rock3.jpg

fl rock7.jpg

fl rock6.jpg

fl rock5.jpg

fossils7.jpg

fossils8.jpg

Third shot is after turning UV off, green glow lasts about 3 seconds. All of these fossils and rocks were found along Lake Michigan's shoreline in the last couple of weeks.

Thx,
Fuss

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wanting to go out and find rocks like this. Waiting for the lake to go down. I bought a UV 100 bulb flashlight in hopes of finding some of these rocks. What equipment do you use to find them? I saw a display of fluorescent rocks in a small museum in NE AR several years ago. It was stunning. Unreal color. What gets me is they just look like plain old rocks without the UV. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked the fossils (1st and last images) not knowing they fluoresced until I put the uv light on them at home. The middle two I used a small uv flashlight in dusk to find (Torcia365), they really stood out on the beach.

I've been wanting to go out and find rocks like this. Waiting for the lake to go down. I bought a UV 100 bulb flashlight in hopes of finding some of these rocks. What equipment do you use to find them? I saw a display of fluorescent rocks in a small museum in NE AR several years ago. It was stunning. Unreal color. What gets me is they just look like plain old rocks without the UV. Gary

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice :) The fossils really pop on that last photo. Its not uncommon to have a few seconds of after glow with some minerals especially quartz/chalcedony. I found that short wave UV is the best for after glow's.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those ones with the bright yellow spots are sodalite-rich syenite. They have become a huge fad in the upper peninsula of Michigan as of late, they've been nicknamed "yooperlite" by the person who "discovered" them. Look up yooperlite, you'll see a tremendous amount of recent activity especially on Facebook where they have their own page. Not sure what type of sodalite is in it, my sense is they're a nepheline syenite with nosean as the sodalite group mineral, but that isn't verified. They're selling for ridiculously high prices right now too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I knew about these were a thing, that's why I picked up the uv torch. But I did not know for sure that what I found was the same thing so I didn't want to call it out by that name here. I have found 4 of them total in walking about 1/4 mile of beaches along Lake Michigan. They are incredibly easy to spot with the UV, a brilliant orange as compared to dull yellows of anything else on the beach that fluoresces.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya I knew about these were a thing, that's why I picked up the uv torch. But I did not know for sure that what I found was the same thing so I didn't want to call it out by that name here. I have found 4 of them total in walking about 1/4 mile of beaches along Lake Michigan. They are incredibly easy to spot with the UV, a brilliant orange as compared to dull yellows of anything else on the beach that fluoresces.

Where on Lake Michigan? Wisconsin side, UP MI, LP MI? Nobody has claimed to have found one in the LP of MI yet as far as I know (I think I found one in Roscommon county but I haven't had time to scrub it to make sure the fluorescence isn't from lichens)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found them in WI, but my guess is they are all over. The rock does not stand out in any real way in regular light on the beach, nothing I would normally look twice at. The ones I found look the same so i have an idea during daylight what to pick up, though I was fooled by a look-a-like yesterday Ill post side by side images later of the look-a-like.

Where on Lake Michigan? Wisconsin side, UP MI, LP MI? Nobody has claimed to have found one in the LP of MI yet as far as I know (I think I found one in Roscommon county but I haven't had time to scrub it to make sure the fluorescence isn't from lichens)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the look a like rock

Here is the one I grabbed in daylight thinking it was a "yooperlite" compared to a known one.

look a like.jpg

look a like2.jpg

I took(dragged almost) my son out last evening to the lake and handed him the uv light, he was hooked after finding his first one, ended up with over a dozen...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the one on the left probably is a syenite with sodalite, some there are many different varieties of sodalite and each one fluoresces differently (nosean, hackmanite, hauyne, etc.). Hackmanite is tenebrescent too...might want to research that term :)

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done lapidary work for quite a while and like making Indian style stone pipes. I want to make a pipe that glows under UV. I can't wait to get out there on the lake and see if my UV flashlight works. They lower the water in winter and expose tons of rocks. All glacial stuff brought down from Canada. Should be the same rocks as along the shore of Lake MI. Gary

DSC08801.JPG DSC09000.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made those? if so wow! nice work. Your UV light should work just fine, I picked up a second light for my son from the hardware store, a cheap $12 LED 400somethin nm version. It dosen't compare to the 365 filtered version(way less blue light emitted) but it did find several of these stones we have been collecting.

I've done lapidary work for quite a while and like making Indian style stone pipes. I want to make a pipe that glows under UV. I can't wait to get out there on the lake and see if my UV flashlight works. They lower the water in winter and expose tons of rocks. All glacial stuff brought down from Canada. Should be the same rocks as along the shore of Lake MI. Gary

View attachment 1643366 View attachment 1643367

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You made those? if so wow! nice work.

Thanks fuss! I've been at it for a while. I don't work any exotic foreign rock, just the glacial stuff from the nearby lake shore. A wide variety of beautiful stone from Canada deposited right where I live. Gary

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread