lights on, lights off and the afterglow....(image heavy)
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree29Likes
  • 13 Post By fuss
  • 1 Post By ToddsPoint
  • 2 Post By DDancer
  • 3 Post By stdenis_jd
  • 2 Post By stdenis_jd
  • 1 Post By DDancer
  • 1 Post By fuss
  • 1 Post By fuss
  • 1 Post By stdenis_jd
  • 3 Post By ToddsPoint
  • 1 Post By ToddsPoint

Thread: lights on, lights off and the afterglow....(image heavy)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

lights on, lights off and the afterglow....(image heavy)

UV light shows some nice details..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fl1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	1642007

Name:	fl2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	1642008

Name:	fl afterglow.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	1642009

Name:	fl rock.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	1642010

Name:	fl rock2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	1642011

Name:	fl rock3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	932.5 KB 
ID:	1642012

Name:	fl rock7.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	1642013

Name:	fl rock6.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	5.02 MB 
ID:	1642014

Name:	fl rock5.jpg 
Size:	5.20 MB 
ID:	1642015

Name:	fossils7.jpg 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	1642016

Name:	fossils8.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	1642017

Third shot is after turning UV off, green glow lasts about 3 seconds. All of these fossils and rocks were found along Lake Michigan's shoreline in the last couple of weeks.

Thx,
    Fuss

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    3188 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've been wanting to go out and find rocks like this. Waiting for the lake to go down. I bought a UV 100 bulb flashlight in hopes of finding some of these rocks. What equipment do you use to find them? I saw a display of fluorescent rocks in a small museum in NE AR several years ago. It was stunning. Unreal color. What gets me is they just look like plain old rocks without the UV. Gary
    fuss likes this.

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times
    I picked the fossils (1st and last images) not knowing they fluoresced until I put the uv light on them at home. The middle two I used a small uv flashlight in dusk to find (Torcia365), they really stood out on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    I've been wanting to go out and find rocks like this. Waiting for the lake to go down. I bought a UV 100 bulb flashlight in hopes of finding some of these rocks. What equipment do you use to find them? I saw a display of fluorescent rocks in a small museum in NE AR several years ago. It was stunning. Unreal color. What gets me is they just look like plain old rocks without the UV. Gary

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1682 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very nice The fossils really pop on that last photo. Its not uncommon to have a few seconds of after glow with some minerals especially quartz/chalcedony. I found that short wave UV is the best for after glow's.
    IAMZIM and fuss like this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    May 2015
    West Lower Peninsula, MI
    575 times
    Prospecting
    Those ones with the bright yellow spots are sodalite-rich syenite. They have become a huge fad in the upper peninsula of Michigan as of late, they've been nicknamed "yooperlite" by the person who "discovered" them. Look up yooperlite, you'll see a tremendous amount of recent activity especially on Facebook where they have their own page. Not sure what type of sodalite is in it, my sense is they're a nepheline syenite with nosean as the sodalite group mineral, but that isn't verified. They're selling for ridiculously high prices right now too.
    Last edited by stdenis_jd; Oct 15, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
    IAMZIM, fuss and DDancer like this.

us
    May 2015
    West Lower Peninsula, MI
    575 times
    Prospecting
    The first set of pics look like calcium/calcite creating the fluorescence, the final pic are crinoids (fossils)
    fuss and DDancer like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1682 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yooperlite indeed Weird name but ok. Did a google myself and found an article by CBS : https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michiga...d-yooperlites/
    stdenis_jd likes this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times
    Ya I knew about these were a thing, that's why I picked up the uv torch. But I did not know for sure that what I found was the same thing so I didn't want to call it out by that name here. I have found 4 of them total in walking about 1/4 mile of beaches along Lake Michigan. They are incredibly easy to spot with the UV, a brilliant orange as compared to dull yellows of anything else on the beach that fluoresces.
    stdenis_jd likes this.

us
    May 2015
    West Lower Peninsula, MI
    575 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fuss View Post
    Ya I knew about these were a thing, that's why I picked up the uv torch. But I did not know for sure that what I found was the same thing so I didn't want to call it out by that name here. I have found 4 of them total in walking about 1/4 mile of beaches along Lake Michigan. They are incredibly easy to spot with the UV, a brilliant orange as compared to dull yellows of anything else on the beach that fluoresces.
    Where on Lake Michigan? Wisconsin side, UP MI, LP MI? Nobody has claimed to have found one in the LP of MI yet as far as I know (I think I found one in Roscommon county but I haven't had time to scrub it to make sure the fluorescence isn't from lichens)

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times
    I found them in WI, but my guess is they are all over. The rock does not stand out in any real way in regular light on the beach, nothing I would normally look twice at. The ones I found look the same so i have an idea during daylight what to pick up, though I was fooled by a look-a-like yesterday Ill post side by side images later of the look-a-like.

Quote Originally Posted by stdenis_jd View Post
    Where on Lake Michigan? Wisconsin side, UP MI, LP MI? Nobody has claimed to have found one in the LP of MI yet as far as I know (I think I found one in Roscommon county but I haven't had time to scrub it to make sure the fluorescence isn't from lichens)
    Last edited by fuss; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM.
    stdenis_jd likes this.

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times

the look a like rock

Here is the one I grabbed in daylight thinking it was a "yooperlite" compared to a known one.

Name:	look a like.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	1643168

Name:	look a like2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	1643169

I took(dragged almost) my son out last evening to the lake and handed him the uv light, he was hooked after finding his first one, ended up with over a dozen...
    Last edited by fuss; Oct 17, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

us
    May 2015
    West Lower Peninsula, MI
    575 times
    Prospecting
    the one on the left probably is a syenite with sodalite, some there are many different varieties of sodalite and each one fluoresces differently (nosean, hackmanite, hauyne, etc.). Hackmanite is tenebrescent too...might want to research that term
    fuss likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    3188 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've done lapidary work for quite a while and like making Indian style stone pipes. I want to make a pipe that glows under UV. I can't wait to get out there on the lake and see if my UV flashlight works. They lower the water in winter and expose tons of rocks. All glacial stuff brought down from Canada. Should be the same rocks as along the shore of Lake MI. Gary

Name:	DSC08801.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1643366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09000.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	1643367
    stdenis_jd, buck8point and fuss like this.

Jul 2018
    Wisconsin
    429 times
    You made those? if so wow! nice work. Your UV light should work just fine, I picked up a second light for my son from the hardware store, a cheap $12 LED 400somethin nm version. It dosen't compare to the 365 filtered version(way less blue light emitted) but it did find several of these stones we have been collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    I've done lapidary work for quite a while and like making Indian style stone pipes. I want to make a pipe that glows under UV. I can't wait to get out there on the lake and see if my UV flashlight works. They lower the water in winter and expose tons of rocks. All glacial stuff brought down from Canada. Should be the same rocks as along the shore of Lake MI. Gary

Name:	DSC08801.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1643366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09000.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	1643367

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    3188 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fuss View Post
    You made those? if so wow! nice work.
    Thanks fuss! I've been at it for a while. I don't work any exotic foreign rock, just the glacial stuff from the nearby lake shore. A wide variety of beautiful stone from Canada deposited right where I live. Gary
    fuss likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links