Rose quartz?

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Quartzy rock and am curious if the purple/pink quartz parts should be called Rose quartz? Click the image a few times to expand for close up.

several color quartz.jpg

Thx

Last edited:

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say corundum also

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd have to differ on the corundum, looks like pink tourmaline in quartz diorite

edit: this is a basic intrusive igneous rock and doesn't appear to have undergone metamorphism. To my knowledge, corundum generally forms under high temp/pressure metamorphic systems (gneiss, schist, marble)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to differ on the corundum, looks like pink tourmaline in quartz diorite

edit: this is a basic intrusive igneous rock and doesn't appear to have undergone metamorphism. To my knowledge, corundum generally forms under high temp/pressure metamorphic systems (gneiss, schist, marble)

I'll go with your call. Tourmaline is more likely, although corundum does form in some pegmatites.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tourmaline makes sense, any ideas on the yellowish areas? oxide staining perhaps?

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah garnet is a possibility too, but without a crystal structure it's nearly impossible to tell. The yellowish areas are probably iron, maybe sulfides

if you look at the very center of the rock, then go "southwest" about halfway to the bottom, it looks like that red crystal might have faces on it. If those are actual crystal faces, that could help if you can get a clear zoomed in photo of just that crystal

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is the area you meant. This is as close as I can get with my current set up, added another image showing scale

redish crystals.jpg

reddish cyrstals scale1.jpg

yeah garnet is a possibility too, but without a crystal structure it's nearly impossible to tell. The yellowish areas are probably iron, maybe sulfides

if you look at the very center of the rock, then go "southwest" about halfway to the bottom, it looks like that red crystal might have faces on it. If those are actual crystal faces, that could help if you can get a clear zoomed in photo of just that crystal
View attachment 1652720

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the pic, my vote is garnet. The black is also interesting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread