Unknown piece of rock found, need help identifying

goold

Jan 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I write from the island of Malta; southern part of Europe. Malta's a sedimentary island and apart from fossilized sedimentary rocks and metamorphic rocks in some areas, no other kind of rock is found. A while back I found the piece of rock shown in pictures attached. Clearly it cannot be local stone. I found it after it rained in a private field semi buried in soil. It has pinkish and gold mixed colour as can be seen. When scratched with sandpaper a grey/lead colour is exposed with golden flakes still visible. It's non magnetic and has a cold feeling to touch(metal like). Also it is quite heavy for its size. On one side of it are what look like squarish crystals. Does anybody know what kind of mineral/rock it might be? Thanks :icon_thumright:

20190121_185722.jpg 20190121_185746.jpg 20190121_185759.jpg 20190121_185909.jpg

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me like it might be iron pyrite, also known as fool's gold. The square crystal structure and color make me think this is what it is but, let's see what others think.

Bill

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep Iron Pyrite. Found in both sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. It's a very common mineral.

All Pyrites eventually decompose. It looks like yours is already partially decomposed. Decomposing Pyrites create sulfuric acid and can react with several minerals to create poisonous compounds. As with any rock don't lick it or put it in your mouth. Always wash your hands after handling Pyrites or any of the sulfide minerals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There are things...Not of this World...That look like...Stones!

What you may have...Is a Meteorite!

Check it out...They are more valuable than...Fools Gold...Or even...Gold!

Meteorite 1.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/b...6789/20509/H_04-11.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Clayminerals are Limestone, kaolinite, illite and smectite.

It would be unusual for a Stone of what is claimed to be Pyrite to end up on its shore...Unless some of the Skeptics of Oak Island...Dropped it there?

Well I guess that proves your point!

Which was? ...

From page 538 of your linked MINERALOGY AND GEOCHEMISTRY OF BLUE PATCHES OCCURRING IN THE GLOBIGERINA LIMESTONE FORMATION USED IN THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE MALTESE ISLANDS report from the University of Malta.

The blue patches contain pyrite, a mineral otherwise absent in the Lower Globigerina Limestone Member, and “often filling the foraminifera and forming casts of the shells"

MaltaPyrite.png

Maybe that's the spot on Malta where the original poster found the pyrite? Just like in the research paper you linked too?

Pyrite crystals are often formed in low temperature sedimentary rocks so it's not surprising at all that it would be found on Malta.

Here's another scientific paper including details about the pyrites found in the blue stone on Malta. I'm sure you will find some more if you look around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread