Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Machkin
  • 1 Post By hvacker
  • 1 Post By stdenis_jd
  • 3 Post By DDancer
  • 2 Post By Diggin-N-Dumps

Thread: Flote vs Float

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2016
    36 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Flote vs Float

When reading old mining and prospecting documents i’ve seen ‘flote gold’ and ‘flote quartz’ mentioned when describing them coming right from their source rock. It seems that all modern information spells it ‘float’ instead of ‘flote’. Does anyone know why the spelling has changed or when it did?

Nov 2016
    74 times
    I would think that it would depend on where the author of the documents where from originally and the date of the document.

Also from Wikipedia:
    In the early 18th century, English spelling was inconsistent. These differences became noticeable after the publishing of influential dictionaries. Today's British English spellings mostly follow Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language (1755), while many American English spellings follow Webster's An American Dictionary of the English Language ("ADEL", "Webster's Dictionary", 1828).

But "why" and "when", is a good question.
    Clay Diggins, IAMZIM and Eu_citzen like this.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1623 times
    Prospecting
    I think they are both wrong. Flowt. The Brits spell color, colour. It's their language so I guess they can spell it anyway they want.
    I was taught to sound words out. That doesn't mean my spelling is right.
    Why do we have so many 2's. To,Too,Two. Toooomany.
    I remember how slang gets some into trouble. There was a Russian on Tnet awhile back. A poster told him he would have a blast MDing with the Russian. Suspiciously the Russian asked "What you mean Blast??"
    jsurddy likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Feb 2016
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I think they are both wrong. Flowt. The Brits spell color, colour. It's their language so I guess they can spell it anyway they want.
    I was taught to sound words out. That doesn't mean my spelling is right.
    Why do we have so many 2's. To,Too,Two. Toooomany.
    I remember how slang gets some into trouble. There was a Russian on Tnet awhile back. A poster told him he would have a blast MDing with the Russian. Suspiciously the Russian asked "What you mean Blast??"
    Ha ha, yea, sounds like a bit of a language barrier there. I personally like having the different spelled versions of some words so we know what exactly is being conveyed. Unfortunately it is too complicated for about 90% of people on the internet to figure out. It’s pretty amazing how much hassle a slight miscommunication can cause at times. I wish more people would put just a little more effort into the more commonly used parts of the language since typing is our primary means of communicating nowadays. It’s like driving, we do it soo often that it just makes sense to do a good job of it. I can totally see people using shortcuts and acronyms, though. Shorthand has been a common practice in morse code for decades. It’s just efficient. Ok, i’m done wandering off topic here. Lol.

Feb 2016
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Machkin View Post
    I would think that it would depend on where the author of the documents where from originally and the date of the document.

Also from Wikipedia:
    In the early 18th century, English spelling was inconsistent. These differences became noticeable after the publishing of influential dictionaries. Today's British English spellings mostly follow Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language (1755), while many American English spellings follow Webster's An American Dictionary of the English Language ("ADEL", "Webster's Dictionary", 1828).

But "why" and "when", is a good question.
    The documents i’ve read were between 1906 and 1970ish. I’ll have to check it out again to see when it was written exactly.

ca
    Jul 2014
    Port Perry, Ontario
    Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
    1086 times
    Metal Detecting
    There are lots of spelling "mistakes" in the old reports. It makes it difficult to do a word search without reading the whole document. Today, we typically spell it "float".
    See my YouTube channel for amateur and fun videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz...OeZbRt0F9XqVJA

us
    May 2015
    West Lower Peninsula, MI
    515 times
    Prospecting
    This is my take on it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	float.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1684619
    meMiner likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1611 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hukt on fhonic's works for me
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    Hukt on fhonic's works for me
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 31