Need help with 98lb hunk of unusual red and yellow chert

ntnlforestbum

Greenie
Feb 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello yall,
I posted this in "What is it" thread and it was suggested that I post it again on this thread.
I found this boulder with the red chert exposed. I can tell that tool blanks had been chipped off of it. I dug it up and found the most unusual boulder I have ever seen. It has red chert, on what I am calling the top and yellow or beige chert on the bottom. It is also made up of what I am guessing is, iron ore. The soft red material that I knocked off, (a piece about the size of the palm of my hand), Is a soft red, sandy material, (pics at link below). I crushed what I could because, it also had small pieces of red chert in it. It looks like the red sandy material is breaking down the other materials but, I could be wrong and it is actually building. I have only panned 3 times in the creek that separate's my land and national forest, and I am not even up to novice yet in the panning dept but, I panned the crushed up piece I knocked off. I ended up with 3 small flakes of gold but, I probably poured some out of the pan. It seemed that a lot of the material was heavier than normal red clay and sand. I know for sure the flakes were gold because, I was very aggressive in the tilting and washing of the material and I was left with some very fine, black sand and the 3 grain size pieces of gold. One of the more unusual things about this boulder is that it has pockets of sulfur colored crystal's. Yall can also see in the picks, that there are many small holes, about the size of a pencil. When shining a flashlight, just right, in the holes, I can see more crystals.
The members in the, "What is it", thread were VERY helpful and I learned from them, Thank Yall!!
I would appreciate it if yall would look at the pics and read the thread posted below. I truly hope I can benefit from yalls collective Knowledge and learn more about this boulder

I posted pics at the link to my first post and if yall want a pic of a certain area of the boulder, I will be glad to take it and post it.
Thank yall for taking time to try and help me find out everything I can.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...red-beige-rock-crystal-pockets-need-help.html

OP
OP
N

ntnlforestbum

Greenie
Feb 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you in? Looks like agatized coral that I used to find in SW Georgia

Hi Indian Steve, thank you for the reply.
I'm in McCormick county SC, about 6 miles from lake Thurmond, (Savannah river), and approx 15 miles upriver from the Piedmont plane. The most plentiful rock showing on my property is white quartz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks similar to some of the Briar Cr. flint I've worked from near the Savannah River. Lots of raspberry color and green also in mostly white flint. Gary

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread