Franklinite or Magnatite? with fluorescent willemite

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought both of these with the understanding that they were Franklinite but I am not quite sure if they are not magnatite instead. First set of images are from a specimen I bought from a fellow in N.J who said it was fluorescent Franklinite..well I know that the fluorescent part is Willemite so am not certain about the Franklinite part.

willemite and franklinite3.jpg

willemite and franklinite2.jpg

willemite and franklinite.jpg

Next one came from the fluorescent section of a local rock shop without a label other than I was told it is from NJ. I am not sure what is fluorescing bright blue but I think the green is Willemite. Do the crystals look more like Magnatite?

franklinite45b.jpg

franklinite45a.jpg

franklinite45.jpg

magnatite or franklinite crystals.jpg

Thx

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful rocks. Our lake is now down 3'. Two more feet to go and I'll be out there with my UV light. Lake froze, then they dropped it so sheets of ice laying on the beaches that need to melt. Hurry up and wait! Gary

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fairly large collection of these and have dug at Franklin, NJ many, many times. It is indeed Franklinite. It LOOKS a lot like magnetite and is generally in the same class, however there is some zinc in Franklinite, hence the name for that "new" mineral. Magnetite from there is exceptionally rare.

Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks real to me I worked in the sterling 50 years ago , that's the sister mine in ogdensburg a couple miles away...

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue is probably calcite. Franklinite/Willemite is usually associated with either feldspar or calcite although the calcite usually fluoresces bright red/orange. Blue is not at all uncommon for calcite though. And I agree with the above, it's certainly franklinite which should be octahedral if you can see it closely enough and the crystals are euhedral

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, willemite was one of the primary ores of the zinc at both Franklin and Ogdensburg. The blue white fluorescense is probably hydrozincite, a coating, which is very common there. Except on the day you want to find some...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Gary, I was out at the lake until almost the last week of January collecting things that fluoresce, but now its a frozen mess. I will start a new thread shortly that shows some of my winter finds.

Beautiful rocks. Our lake is now down 3'. Two more feet to go and I'll be out there with my UV light. Lake froze, then they dropped it so sheets of ice laying on the beaches that need to melt. Hurry up and wait! Gary

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread