Is this amethyst?

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Ive had this stone for some time and never bothered to find out exactly what it was, i came across it today and thought i would post it on here.
Found in Edinburgh, Scotland when digging foundations for a home extension, the stone is very dark purple in colour but ive tried to shine a light on it so you can see the grains and how dense the colour is. Theres a small blue rock and a clear section that are visible too.

Heres some photos, any input would be appreciated :unhappysmiley::unhappysmiley::unhappysmiley:

Attachments

• IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5792.JPG
    IMG_5792.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 45

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like slag glass, I was at some ones house not long ago that had several large pieces like that on display, it can be quite attractive and interesting.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cullet glass - glass remnants from melting glass, often swirled and mixed together

Slag glass - remnants from smelting. Usually with hardened froth and a lot of bubbles.

This is cullet. Man-made or not, this would be worth something to a lapidarist - it will make some nice cabochons/jewelry :)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cullet glass - glass remnants from melting glass, often swirled and mixed together

Slag glass - remnants from smelting. Usually with hardened froth and a lot of bubbles.

This is cullet. Man-made or not, this would be worth something to a lapidarist - it will make some nice cabochons/jewelry :)

100 percent right, glass cullet is what it be. reminds me of a chalcedony glass with those swirls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions