Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister found this chert nodule on her property in eastern Tennessee. She would like to polish it. Any suggestions?
FB_IMG_1554247416254.jpg FB_IMG_1554247427980.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a cool intact nodule! The rind covering it hides the pristine chert within. I would find someone with a rock saw, and open it up. Maybe a lengthwise cut, then polish the exposed side, if it turns out to be a nice specimen. You don't know what's in there yet. Good luck.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd need a diamond grinder and a whole lot of other diamond tools. Plus a ton of time. It ain't like wood! Get a lapidary to cut a slice and polish it for you. Without opening it first, you don't know what's inside. Might be beautiful, might be junk. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd need a diamond grinder and a whole lot of other diamond tools. Plus a ton of time. It ain't like wood! Get a lapidary to cut a slice and polish it for you. Without opening it first, you don't know what's inside. Might be beautiful, might be junk. Gary
She was thinking of soaking in Borax solution and then hand polishing. I don't think she wants to cut it. I take it tumbling is not an option? But the outer rind might just be too thick for any type of exterior polishing?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its fairly large and if you want to keep the form without cutting it a large belt sander with several grits of garnet and then emery, plus a bit of time and elbow grease, would work it down fine. A final buff on a wheel for polish would do it. Otherwise a large tumbler if you dont mind loosing some of the form.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread