Emerald?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my brothers friends pulled out this rock yesterday and said he doesn't know where it was found but the person who gave it to him said the green parts are emerald.

The rest of the rock is somewhat translucent, moreso when wet. It also has a thick black vein that kind of sparkles that looks to me like graphite or maybe pyrite.

20190416_120730.jpg

20190416_120743.jpg

What do you think?

Is it Emerald in the rough? Is it valuable?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks very similar to emerald I have found in nc that i got one cut out of. Not sure on the quality of the emerald but they don't jump out as super high quality or color to me, but its hard to tell with out a powerful led and to know what you are looking for. Might still be some good stones in it though.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like material out of the Crabtree mine in NC. Emerald (beryl) has a hexagonal crystal shape. Value, well, you can't see through the crystals, so there is some value as a specimen, but not as gem material.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed and emerald cluster. Show us some more pictures, especially the better color/clarity portions. Ask your brother to go find the go and dig out as much as you can! I would be interested in buying some. I sell American Minerals in Japan.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fluorite also has similar appearance. Can you scratch a crystal with a sixpenny nail?

Attachments

• natural-teal-blue-fluorite.jpg
    natural-teal-blue-fluorite.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed and emerald cluster. Show us some more pictures, especially the better color/clarity portions. Ask your brother to go find the go and dig out as much as you can! I would be interested in buying some. I sell American Minerals in Japan.
Cool business your in Mr Lee. I do business with these folks at Collectors Edge here in Colorado. I've been to their warehouse numerous times over the years, which is totally awesome to visit. I also deliver mining supplies to their underground Rhodochrosite mine high up in the Rocky Mountains. https://collectorsedge.com

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions