Black Agate?

LoCash

May 23, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Other
New to the site. Hoping to get some verification as to what I found. I believe these to be Agates (and one piece of red jasper). Some have slight banding and internal features that lead me to think agate. Some are translucent. Some have small geode like features that have a druzy look to them. Any help to pinpoint exactly (or close) to what they are would be appreciated. All of them were found at the same location in central Colorado. Please let me know if I can provide other information. Thanks,
2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

OP
OP
L

LoCash

May 23, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Other
No real color, just the Black, Gray and White look. Some of the more translucent pieces have a brown tint to them, almost looking like a smoky quartz. I have some the pictured collection in the tumbler now. Interested to see what they look like after 10 days of course grit.

Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance of getting some close up images? kinda look like flint/chert with some chalcedony.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LoCash

May 23, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a few up close photos, shown dry/wet in order. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice/opinions.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are some kind of chalcedony/chert combo with some liesegang banding is my thought on them. Interesting. looking forward to seeing them when done in your tumbler.

Upvote 0

oberon702

Greenie
Mar 11, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not agate. Agate has very fine banding from the slow deposition of siicon dioxide as a replacement in nodules in limestone. I dont even think it is quartz / chalcedony in origin. Almost looks like dolostone (Magnesium rich limestone). Pour a little muratic acid (HCL) and see if the acid reacts with it. Quartz won't have much of a reaction with acid but if it is limestone in origin it will react rapidly with acid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions