64lb Quartz Rock

jwalker97756

Greenie
Sep 30, 2019
Sisters, Oregon
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still trying to figure out how to post in the right place, so please don't get mad. I have a 64lb quartz rock that alot of people want to get their hands on. Two different people who have mining claims informed my husband and I that there was GOLD in the rock, not to let it out of our site. They mentioned the words "assay"???? I promised my husband that I would have it checked out after he passed away. I need some advice, can anyone help me in this regard.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get it out of the crate and in natural light take a bunch of pics for us, the pics you have here doesn't show us much....

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An assay is a chemical test to find out the true content of the gold, if any. Please get us some pics of the yellowish areas.

Upvote 0

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take the weight of the quartz in grams. place in a known quantity of water. Measure the amount of water displaced in cubic centimeters (milliliters). Divide the weight of the rock in grams by the amount of milliliters displaced to get the specific gravity of the rock. The specific gravity of quartz is 2.65. If higher that that, then you have something denser included in the rock. Doesn't tell you much, but interesting experiment.

Upvote 0

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"metal detector"

chub

Upvote 0

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That'll work too:laughing7: At least for metal content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread