Calcite Stalactite?

nonbreeder

Nov 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20190414_150652614.jpg IMG_20190414_150917226.jpg IMG_20190414_150906773.jpg

Does this look like calcite? Found it while clearing out an attic. It's maybe 6 inches long x 2 inches x 1 inch.

Does it have any value or shall I return it to the earth?

I tried a black light flashlight on it and it does not seem to glow (not like my running shoes do - heh).

Oh - this is in Connecticut.

Thanks

Last edited:

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be, or it could be a rock (mixture of various minerals) like travertine. To see if it is a carbonate try putting a few drops of 5% vinegar or muratic acid on it and look for bubbling/fizzing (vinegar works a bit slower on some carbonates so be patient).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nonbreeder

Nov 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be, or it could be a rock (mixture of various minerals) like travertine. To see if it is a carbonate try putting a few drops of 5% vinegar or muratic acid on it and look for bubbling/fizzing (vinegar works a bit slower on some carbonates so be patient).

Thank you for that idea - it did bubble a little bit, slowly under the surface of the drop of vinegar. So I guess it is a carbonate as you suggested.

Much appreciated...now what to do with it.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has all the characteristics of a stalactite. I dont condone removal of cave formations however its been removed and there is no going back. Just keep it as a memory of a wonder that no longer exists. I've been in many cave's that have been vanalized, its a shame, however in your position I would not feel bad keeping it on display. Overall there is not much value but it was a piece of living history once. My thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nonbreeder

Nov 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I would imagine this was broken off long ago. My ancestors came over in 1630 and I have artifacts going back to 1700s. Not long in terms of stalactite formation but long in terms of my short life.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread