Bought this at a market in Taiwan...

snowboardpunk

Dec 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any clue on what this is? Some people said jade, some people said something that I didn't understand.. Didn't really buy it for the rarity or anything, just because I liked it. Is it possible that it was dyed?

Saw a lot of gems that people said were blue jade, doing a quick search on the internet, couldn't find anything that was labeled blue jade. 20191214_181350.jpg 20191214_181403.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it too. Kind of like "picture" agate. I think it's blue chalcedony, not necessarily dyed. Here's some from Turkey, in the rough.

blue chalcedont.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

snowboardpunk

Dec 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too. Kind of like "picture" agate. I think it's blue chalcedony, not necessarily dyed. Here's some from Turkey, in the rough.

View attachment 1779664

Ahh, I see that does kind of look like it. The other pieces that were way more expensive were also just pure blue and black. Like the very deep blue and deep black with no opaque or yellow like mine has. If I go back over there i'll take picture of those. They were stunning, but very much out of my price range.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have to agree with Kray. There are many locations where blue chalcedony and blue agate can be found. Some are similar in appearance to your item. Also, like you, I have never heard or seen reference to blue jade.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find some different kinds of agates out near my fire agate spot that has some of those black and blue colors. 20191225_123201~3.jpg

Upvote 0

Midwest4

Sep 26, 2018
USA
Detector(s) used
intuition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any clue on what this is? Some people said jade, some people said something that I didn't understand.. Didn't really buy it for the rarity or anything, just because I liked it. Is it possible that it was dyed?

Saw a lot of gems that people said were blue jade, doing a quick search on the internet, couldn't find anything that was labeled blue jade. View attachment 1779653 View attachment 1779654

Here is a Taiwan video about identifying different types of Taiwan Jade and gemstones as well as simple tests you can do to verify their authenticity. They talk about Taiwan blue jade in the video. Taiwan is known for it's blue jade, it doesn't require artifical color enhancement such as heat treatment which is sometimes used on other countries blue jades --

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread