đź’ŽWhat kind of stone it is?đź’Ž

skyder_g

Greenie
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question what kind of stone is this? I believe that is obsidian because of it’s Glass like structure and because when i broke a bit of it it broke like obsidian and it was very sharp
8504AF9A-F1CE-4027-BAD1-44CD6E019005.jpeg
74C6CF70-F7A1-4CDB-BC91-E88144ECB844.jpeg

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a question what kind of stone is this? I believe that is obsidian because of it’s Glass like structure and because when i broke a bit of it it broke like obsidian and it was very sharp
View attachment 1828369
View attachment 1828370

Just from the pic looks like older glass, just my thoughts hard to tell from sometimes without holding it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyder_g

Greenie
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from the pic looks like older glass, just my thoughts hard to tell from sometimes without holding it.

It is too thick to be Glass it is a rock, and I found it on a Road construction site, among other obsidian stones. I thought it was interesting because While searching the internet i couldn’t find an Olive colored obsidian

Upvote 0

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1828369
View attachment 1828370

Oliovine....Adventurine....damn! can't remember, I found the exact stone but smaller and it took me a while to properly identify it and now I forgot. I remember it being considered semi-precious, and funny, mine was in mixed in a fresh asphalt from road construction. If I remember or find my research, I'll chime back in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyder_g

Greenie
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oliovine....Adventurine....damn! can't remember, I found the exact stone but smaller and it took me a while to properly identify it and now I forgot. I remember it being considered semi-precious, and funny, mine was in mixed in a fresh asphalt from road construction. If I remember or find my research, I'll chime back in.

That is cool! I have more stones that Look like obsidian but have diferent colors
BF715E85-995D-41F6-8B8E-5B4A513FF505.jpeg
But my favorites are
B4CB4EA9-37D8-4293-B5F0-5FEEC5D57709.jpeg
BB9C8D82-237A-4D3C-8C64-7590E724CF6B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a lot of green obsidian. Not rare, neither is Olivine or Adventurine.

From the pictures it all looks like glass slag. Are you in the eastern states? If so it's not obsidian.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is too thick to be Glass it is a rock, and I found it on a Road construction site, among other obsidian stones. I thought it was interesting because While searching the internet i couldn’t find an Olive colored obsidian

No such thing as too thick to be glass. Glass can be found many inches thick. I agree that it looks like slag glass.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyder_g

Greenie
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of green obsidian. Not rare, neither is Olivine or Adventurine.

From the pictures it all looks like glass slag. Are you in the eastern states? If so it's not obsidian.
I’m from Romania, usually constrution stone is transported from the mountains, we don’t use slag as road construction material, irronically we have a slag mountain in our city because we have a metal Factory in out town but it isn’t used for nothing, never had anyone used the slag it just sits there. But it looks cool as a view

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread